Anyone know where I can get the tail light gaskets for a 1961 Comet, (CAT EYE STYLE)

89,885

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 07:14 AM about the Mercury Comet

955

I have the same dilema on my '61 I am restoring. Im suprised no one sells them. Do you have a UPC or part # for teh seal from Home Depot?

955

Thats helps alot. Yours came out good. Nothing is more classy than a black antique vehicle- Keep up the good work

Best Answer
955

Sounds like it was a pain- I wonder why no one make teh seals? I guesss not much demand for a 2 year only seal What did you use for the rear fender trim clips? I had to re-use my old ones

89,885

Thanks, the car was black so I stayed with the same color. I just finshed putting all the fender and door molding on a few days ago. My trunk emblem and emblem behind the back door were really bad. I needed to have them re-chromed. All the chrome really needs to be done, but who has the money for that. Just need to put the grille and bumpers back on should have that done in a few weeks. Its needs a headliner and a few other odds and ends done. As long as it drives I'm good with it.

89,885

Also as you may know the outside door handles can be very expensive. I was finding reproductions handles on line for $65.00 each. I found out that you can use the 1965 falcon reproduction handles as well, which I found on eBay for only $27.00 a pair. All you need to do is drill a new hole for the mounting tab,use use your old hardware and they work great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-66-1969-70-Ford-Falcon-Bronco-Mustang-Outside-Door-Handles-CHROME-PAIR-/400567496279?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d43aeee57&vxp=mtr#ht_1745wt_944 http://www.falconparts.com/pc/Outside-Door-Handles-d22.htm

955

For the molding, trim etc, I bought a powder coater from harbor freight for like $60.00. It works great on clean metal. I tried powder coating the front fender ornaments, trunk lock etc and it came out bad due to teh metal and chrome having pits etc. You can use a regular counter top oven to bake them- Comes out really nice on clean metal I eneded up wire wheeling the powder coat back off and used some dupli-color wheel paint and clear. It came out great- This color is teh closest I can get without spending a fortune on re-chrome- Sounds like we are at the same point of restoration

955

Here are the handles

955

Here is the rest Did you do the headliner by yourself? If so, was it a big pain?

955

Front ornament

955

I didnt know that about the door handles. So just order 2 sets and that will cover all 4 doors? Did they work out for you and the door opens fine? I will do that instead of leaving the paint on my stock ones?

955

Something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-FORD-BRONCO-MUSTANG-FALCON-COMET-DOOR-HANDLES-OUTSIDE-PAIR-NEW-/350426955170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1965%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AFalcon&hash=item519712fda2&vxp=mtr

89,885

Yep those are the ones, got them in last week and drilled the new holes and put the old hardware in, they work really good, you will see what I'm talking about when you get them in as far as the tab placements. Again be careful when drilling the holes that you drill in the right place. I will be installing them this weekend. No I not going to try to put the headliner in. I watched a whole bunch of You Tubes on headliners and I'll leave that to someone else. I got a guy that will do it $250.00 if I buy the headliner which around $65.00. Your other trim pieces came out really good never thought of power coating.

89,885

I'll send you a photo when I get home of the door handles to see what I'm talking about as far as where to drill. Nice to talk to some that has the same car and that is going thru the same problems I am having.

955

Same here. Any help would be great. Not many forums etc for a 60-61. Not many parts out there compared to lets say a Falcon. I am definately interested in the process for the handles

89,885

Ok will do, There are allot of engine parts that are the same. Example the 144 and 177 were used on a number of ford products and allot of parts will work with the comet. Things like door panels, trim and emblems are hard to come by for a Comet. I thank god that mine had all of that when I got it maybe not the best condition but it was all there. I'll send the pictures tonight. If you are going to redo your door Gaskets and "Fuzzies" here is a good site that a guy did one you can use as reference. http://www.classicgarageblog.com/category/1960-1964-mercury-comet/

955

If you are interested, I found a guy on ebay who made me all 4 door panels for like 275 shipped. They are tan and red and are gorgeous

955

Here he is Mine were 2 tone red and tan with no Falcon emblem- Top notch- Only thing, there are no holes on the back of the panel for door panel clips http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Door-Panels-1960-1963-Ford-Falcon-4-Door-Pleated-Bird-/311176624849?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4873927ad1

89,885

Sweet really nice looking, but I made my own for around $50.00 for the set, I'll post a few picture of the ones I made.

89,885

Here is what my front panels look like

89,885

Here is the 65 handle with the new hole drilled, on the left is the hole for the 65 tab. The right is the new hole I drilled to fit the tab for the 61

89,885

A few different views of the handle

89,885

Another view

955

The door panels and handles look great. I will definately do the door handles. What did you use to mount the door panels to the door?

89,885

Like with your panels I don’t have the clips to mount it on the back, I used 1/8” lauan which is pretty rigid and should have no problem (I HOPE) I think with the armrest and window handles it should all stay in place. No problem on the door handles, as I said make sure you measure twice to get the hole in the right place. I’m always searching to find inexpensive parts for this car that’s if you can even find them. It’s also hard finding repair information as well. I think I will post a few pages of the repair manual I have in my garage for others the view if the need information. Like you said there is not many web sites for the 60 thru 62 Comets allot of what I’ve done is on my own by looking at allot of pictures of 61’s and getting ideas. I don’t want a show car just a ride for me and my wife to take a ride down to the beach from time to time and something to do on the weekends. If you need any other information let me know I’ll be happy to help and direct to places I have found that could give some more information. You ride looks good and keep up the good work.

955

Im here you on teh show car. I just want one I can drive around with my family nad just have fun. If you google Old Town in Kissimmee, Florida, they have a huge car show every Saturday. I just want to do that and have fun I also have a '67 Bug and there is a major site called thesamba.com where you can go and ask questions, parts, shows etc. Within 5 minutes, there will be 3-4 replies. The Comet, not so much. I posted questions months ago which are still unanswered. I agree. no repair manuels either.

89,885

Same here not many people anwser questions, if you need any repair information let me know I'll put it in my garage. We have a car show here in New York in my town in the summer time every Friday night. The cars there are guys that have lots of money and it shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-XFGeQ5bfA

955

Looks like fun- I see alot of nice cars there

89,885

I checked out yours as well and same thing here lots of nice cars, hey just got a call from my chromer my items are done. I'll pick them up on my way home, I'll post some photos, hope they came out good.

955

That looks great, I would be happy with that. What did that cost you? The shops here what an arm and a leg for chroming

89,885

I used a guy close to the house it was $300.00 for the three pieces. I was getting pricing from other chromers that were in the $600.00 range. I wasn't going to do it but he gave me a good deal. They are not prefect, but they were really bad before and I'll take it for the price I paid. I may have him do a few more for me like the emblems on the fenders and the gun sights, if he will gives me a good deal. http://www.4chrome.com/

89,885

Did you get your handles in and get the opportunity to drill the holes? Post photo if you did I would like to see how they came out.

955

I am going to order them on Monday. I think it will go smooth

89,885

Great, post some photos..

955

Those visors look great. I agree, make your own if you can. 90 is steep I decided to keep my exterior door handles. I painted them and they grew on me. Can you post a pic of your antenna? They want like 80 for an antenna and I think a universal one for 15 will work fine

89,885

I decided not to go with the external antenna, I had them cover over the hole when they did the body work. I’m going with a hidden antenna under the dash. I’m not sure where I put my old one, you are welcomed to it that’s if I can find it. Also you can have my old handles if you want them.

89,885

I took the day off yesterday and finished up with the car since we had some nice weather here in the north east. Everything is now done as far as trim on the car. I still need to work on the door moldings but that will have to wait till the spring to get that done. That’s why I’m working on the visors right now I can get those done in my workroom in the colder months and install them in the spring. I have that headliner to get done, but there is no way I’m doing that myself.

955

That's ok, thanks anyway. I think I will try and tackle the headliner myself. I did a VW Bug and Bus and it came out good. I'll post progress pics for the Comet

89,885

Let me know how the headliner comes out, I hear it's much easier with the Windows out. Thats why I will not do it, my widows are in. I will post a few pictures as well.

89,885

Dam I lost my carburetor yesterday....it crapped out on me. The float went bad needed to order a new one it should be here in about a week. I was going to change it but not right now I was going to wait till the spring when the weather was better. Anyway I'm also going to redo the fuel and vacuum lines with carb off. I have question by chance have you ever changed the heater blower switch on your car. I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it. If there is a nut in the back I can't reach it nor can I see it. Would you know.

89,885

I found a shop manual on line for the 61 http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.php?Path=Falcon_Shop_Manual_60-62&db=Falcon&table=FSM_6062&Page=1-014

955

Cool, Ill have to check it out. There is no way I can afford to have my bumpers re-chromed so I decided to paint them white to match the top. They want about $650.00 locally for 1 bumper!! I am very happy with the way the rear one came out.

955

I wa slooking in the garage and found a hood seal that I had left over from my '67 Bug I also have. I used it for the tail light housings and they came out perfect. http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D823%2D731%2DB

89,885

I total hear you about the bumper, my guy wants $650.00 each as well, I think all the re-chrome’s are price fixing because they all seem to be about the same price everywhere you go. It looks good white and WOW I really like the seal on the rear lens it looks better then mine, it seems to be perfect for the lens, do you have a side photo of the seal, maybe I’ll order one and keep it just in case I should need it. As far as the manual it’s for a Falcons but it’s the same car except for the body style. The Car is starting to look really good.

89,885

Magnus I was on vacation this week and I got around to installing the new carburetor, Its works great and the weather here was great and I took it for a nice long ride.

955

Good job- I wish I was at that point- Im hoping to have mine done by April-May of this year- Is it possible for you to post some pics of the vacuum lines on the motor? I cant seem to find any premade so I was going to try and make my own What carb did you put on?

89,885

I put the Holley single barrel back in. I had it done by a guy in Illinois. My vac lines were all rusted and had them bent by a local guy it was like 70.00. I have photos but cant seem to post them for some reason. Give me a day or so to figure it out. Anyway happy New Year...

89,885

Go to my garage page and I posted a bunch of photos of the carb and the vac lines hope it helps.

955

Happy New YEar to you as well Sir. Did you use break line and had them bent or did you buy specific lines made only for the Comet? I see the lines for sale but none are for the 170 with a 2 speed transmission

955

also, any idea where to get the transmission cooling lines?

89,885

The 170 and the 144 engines are the same set up as far as placement of all the engine components when these were produced. So what you are looking at in the photos will be the same for the 170 as with the 144. All my lines were made with brake lines which I purchased at the auto store. I gave my guy old ones to work with. I dont think you will find the transmission lines, I have not done these yet I plan on doing them in the spring. I will take these out and have the guy use brake lines as well.

955

Perfect, thanks

955

Quick question. Do you remember how many feet of windlace you needed? Im looking to order some tomorrow Thanks

89,885

Magnus, I do, it was about 16 feet, My wife sews and wanted to give it a shot and made her own for me and it really came out good, she made about 20' and I know there was extra. I could have purchased it for about the same price as it took for her to sew it. But all in all it came out good. I still need to do the headliner, I think I may try it but I have to wait to work on anything until the spring because it has been really cold here. Just glad I got the carb in and get it started.

955

Very cool, thank you. I didnt even think of that, I will put it You said 16 feet of windlace. Was that for each side or was that a total of 16 feet?

89,885

That was total

955

Ok, ill order it tonight thanks. Also, would it possible for you to post some pics of the area where teh generator mounts to the motor? I cant figure out where the little bracket goes. Also, can you post pics of the motor from underneath the car, especially where the motor mounts with the tranny? I just rebuilt my 170 and would like to see more pics Thanks

89,885

Go to to my garage in my profile, there is a link for the manual. Engine mounts can be found in Chapter 1, page 1-013, and there is a photo for the generator mounting Chapter 10, page 10-004. hope it helps, if not let me know.

955

Excellent idea posting that manual, thanks. When I took off my generator, it had 2 brackets. One short one and one long one with a slight curve. I cant seem to find where the small bracket goes and the pic in the manual shows the long one

955

I was looking for a way to save the whole manual but couldnt find the option. Ill get one from ebay. I didnt realize how helpful and descriptive they were

89,885

Hope it helped, My phone is not working so I can't take any photos right now and the manual will not let you save the whole thing. Its a good manual and have a lot more information then the one I have. I'll try to take a few photos when I get a new phone.

89,885

I found a you tube of the 170 engine, maybe it could help with that bracket you can't place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5WzyHpX9k

955

what a great video. I will do some screen shots of that. I still cant see the small bracket Im talking about. I see the upper one that mounts to the bolt of the water pump. I cant seem to find where the other smaller bracket goes. Does yours only have 1 bracket?

955

Here it is. I cant see anywhere it mounts to on the generator

89,885

These are the only two brackets that are used on the car to mount the generator, I'm not sure if that even goes to the generator

89,885

The other bracket

89,885

If that is your generator belt adjustment bracket it seems really small, Mine is curved and longer.

89,885

Here is another You Tube, this one shows an upgrade to a Alternator, but will give you an idea on how the old generator was mounted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-WP6sBCXU

955

I have the curved bracket on the motor. I'm just stumped where the little one goes. based on the pic, my little bracket doesn't mount to the generator. I'm glad I got that cleared up

89,885

My Kids got me a new chrome gas cap for the car, looks really good.

955

That looks great, what a treasure. That must have cost a pretty penny

955

Are you able to post some pics of accelerator linkage area located on the firewall? I'm putting my rebuilt 170 in this Thursday and want to get it prepped Thx

89,885

I'll try, the weather is pretty bad today here in New York...Glad to see the engine is going in, send me some photos after its in and running, Did you find out where that bracket went?

955

I still have no clue where the bracket goes. Im really stumped. I bought the Falcon shop manual and I dont see it either.

89,885

The gas cap I had was an old 70's lock style, I guess it was put on during the gas crisis. It looked so ugly and I kept telling my whole family I going to change it and they got it for my birthday. Not sure the cost but it really makes the back of the car look so good. I just ordered all the window molding such as the Glass Run Molding, Vent Window Molding, I just wish I had some good weather like you to work on it, I'm going to have to wait till the spring to get all the little things done.

89,885

That is strange as well I looked over my whole engine for you and I don't see a bracket like that. I have a bad habbit when I'm working on cars and has paid off for me, I mark every part I take off, and I put them in zip lock bags if they are small. I also take photos as I am working on the car, because you know what happens, You never seems to have enough time to finish something and you go back to it a few days later and you never remember what part needs to go where. also I was thinking about the door panels you have and you said that there is no holes in the panels to attach them to the door, Have you thought about Velcro? Also I finished up the Visors this weekend, came out OK I guess. I'll post a few photos of the finished product.

955

I may have to grab me one of those gas caps. I have a new locking one right now. Im looking to get the moldings within the next month or so as well. Which vendor did you use? Ill use Velcro on the door panels. The industrial style Velcro should work just fine. Ill just make sure teh door metal is clean and prepped for the velcro. Here is a pic of one of my panels. Red and cream

955

Here is my rebuilt 170 that will go in Thursday. I put studs on the oil pan and valve covers. I trust studs over bolts anyday

955

And here are the hubcaps I got, $85.00 shipped for all 4!

89,885

WOW the engine looks really sweat. Nice job, wish mine looked like that and the panels look really good they don't look like they are for a falcon. I couldn't get the pictures tonight for you. It was snowing like crazy here. I had to shovel ill try to take a few tomorrow for you. Did you rebuild the engine yourself? Yes studs are the way to go, I know two bolts broke on my valve cover and needed to drill them out.

89,885

These are my visors.

89,885

I got vent window gaskets from C and G auto parts out of California. The glass door runs and fuzzies from Macs and the division gasket from rock auto.

89,885

The picture of your hubs caps didn't post try it again

955

Oops, let me try again.... Your sunvisors look great, good job! How do they fit?

955

Yes, I rebuilt the engine myself. It was actually a piece of cake. I couldnt believe how simple it was. And I thought rebuilding a VW Bug motor was easy... New pistons, torque converter, timing chain/ gear,water pump, main bearings, cam bearings, cam shaft, distributor, freeze plugs, exhaust studs ,rod bearings, harmonic balancer, valves, lifters, valve springs, push rods, oil pump and I had her bored out .30 over. I may get a little more HP, but not much. But she turns over sweet by simply using a ratchet, and thats even when its mounted to the tranny. I was lucky, the tranny was rebuilt in 1993 and is still good.

89,885

I like the hub caps, they have the red and white like the color of the car and for price you can't beat it. The engine looks really good. My engine is runnig good right now, the compression is good, I have one valve ticking but it's not bad. I might rebuild it one day, The last time I rebuilt an engine was like 25 years ago. I really need to change the exhaust manifold on mine, but the nuts are so old and rusty. I'm afraid to take them off. Were yours the same and if so how did you take your off ? did you do anything special like heat them up or let them soak in oil for a few days. My probelm is I have so many little things I need to do on the car. Like a new muffler. I need to change the heater hoses. I got a new heater core, mind is not leaking but they are so cheap I thought since I will have the heater box open let me change it, so I don't have to do it again. I need to do the head liner, also need to get some new tranny lines. All the doors needs to have the weather stripping done. I have all the parts, its just so damm cold here that its hard to work on. The visors fit great and I just ordered the tips for them on Ebay. Here is the link for the cas cap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1964-Falcon-Comet-Fuel-GAS-Cap-FORD-LICENSED-/400848420467?fits=Model%3AFalcon#ht_2163wt_944

89,885

Go into my garage on this site, I found a site that had a blank window sticker for the 61 you may have to resize in and add your information. Just something cool to add to the car when it’s done. You should post a You Tube of the engine running when its done.There is another site I found as well its called Hub Garage. http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.hubgarage.com/&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=5s7QVK68EIH-ggTX7IPAAg&ved=0CBUQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGv31xtXusWqpgawAmMST90qXsBWA a good place to post photos of your car. There are not many comets on there. But a cool site to check out some really nice cars.

955

Wow, $65.00. Id be afraid someone would steal it. But it looks great. Ill check out that link and Ill definately post a video Thanks

89,885

Linkage

89,885

Linkage

89,885

Linkage

89,885

Linkage 1961 Comet hope it helps

89,885

Linkage

955

That helps a million. Thanks again

89,885

No problem

89,885

How did you make out with putting the engine in the car?

955

It went perfect. It took about 45 minutes. I'm extremely happy and no unforeseen problems

955

Here it is installed

89,885

WOW!! Looks really good, looks like you need to do the final hookups and she will be up and running. Isn't it nice when you are up to that point in a project. Good luck with her....I want to hear her running.

955

Here she is with the radiator in, in-line radiator filter, new radiator overflow tube, plug wires and radiator cap. I should start her this week Are you able to post some good pics of the transmission mount? My bushings are bad and I want to get a good idea on hiw its supposed to look Thanks in advance

89,885

Looks really good, we had an ice storm here yeartday and guess what I fell and threw my back out. There is no way I could get under the car right now. In the Falcon reapair book there is a few pictures of the transmission mounting maybe these will help.

955

Oh boy, I hope you feel better.

89,885

Sucks getting old, Question, really need to change the exhaust manifold on mine, but the nuts are so old and rusty. I'm afraid to take them off. Were yours the same and if so how did you take your off ? did you do anything special like heat them up or let them soak in oil for a few days? I would hate for them to break off?

955

Luckilly, mine came out with double nutting and vice grips. I got new studs , lock washers and nuts from Macs for like 5 bucks a pair

955

I see you have the same air filter and and carb I do. My air filter throat is bigger than the carb throat.Do you have the same issue? If so, how did you fix it? An adaptor?

89,885

Thanks for the information on the manifold. I don't think I will that lucky. As far as the air filter, there is a hold down bracket on the bottom of the air filter that goes around the carb. It has a long wing type of bolt that you screw down and clamps around the carb. I have a feeling yours may have broken and is no longer there. Mine was cracked I was able weld it and get it to work again. There are no parts to purchase to fix it. There is a junk yard in Texas that had one but that was years ago. If I couldn't fix mine I was going to purchase it. He wanted like 25.00 for it. I'm not sure if he has it anymore because that . The place is called CTC Auto Ranch, he has a few Comets posted on his web site you could email and see if he still has it. The engine is looking really good. I cant wait for the warm weather so I can start working on mine again. I have some many things that I want to do. Like you as soon as I'm done my daughter is going to post a you tube video for me.

955

Mine must be broken then. I will definately start looking for a bracket. You may get lucky with double nutting or vice grips. I didnt think I was going to get mine out either. Im lucky, Florida has nice weather all year. Even when its "cold", its still only in the 40's. I look forward to seeing your youtube video Thanks for all of your input over the last few months on here

89,885

No problem like you I have posted questions on a bunch of other comet forums and no one ever answers. Like I said it nice to know someone with the same car going thru the same problems I am having. I can't wait till the spring to start working on the car again only a few more weeks.

955

Hows the back feeling? Hope all is good. I spent all day trying to figure out the vacuum/ fuel lines on my motor. I had good reference pics but somehow, I cant find them If you are feeling better, I was hoping you could check something for me. I looked in the internet and have not had much luck I attached your pic with numbers for a reference. Can you look at your motor and let me know where lines 1-5 go. Here is what I think is correct: 1- ? 2- Distributor 3- Fuel line-Just not sure which port on fuel pump is in and out 4- Wipers motor? 5- Modulator on tranny? Also, on the fuel pump, if you have vacuum wipers, which port is fuel in, and which port is fuel out? Mine has an upper and lower Which port is in and out for the wiper vacuum Thanks again

955

955

Here is a before shot of my motor to show you teh fuel pump vacuum ports in question 1-? 2-?

955

I should have been able to figure this out. I have rebuilt many VW's from bumper to bumper, 2 Corvairs and now the Comet. But for some reason, these fuel/vacuum lines are kicking my butt lol

89,885

My back is feeling much better thanks for asking. Yep no problem I will take a few photos of each vac lines and an explanation as to where it goes. We are getting a blizzard today so Ill do it before the snow starts. I totally understand I've done things time after time and then for some reason It kicks my butt

955

OK, great. I wish we had some cool weather here for a change lol To make it easier for you, I wouldnt need pics. If you could just explain where each line goes, that would be perfect. Thanks again

89,885

I'll post photos just in case someone else happens to need the information...

89,885

here you go, ,hope the photos are large enough to see, any questions let me know, hope it helps

89,885

here you go

89,885

here you go

89,885

here you go

89,885

here you go

89,885

here you go

89,885

just in case you can't see the pictures, number one is the vac tube for the choke it goes down to the exhaust manifold just under the carb. Number two is the vac advance tube that goes to the distributor. Number three is the fuel line back to the fuel pump. Number four is the vac line for the wipers thet vac line goes back to the fire wall, the hole is near the master cylinder. number 5 goes to the back of the transmission, not the front part of the transmission, there are two vac lines to the transmission. I posted a photo of the top of the fuel pump, there is a looped line here, I think this line was used for windshield water pump, if you do nave one, just put a loop of rubber hose here. your carb may not have these two ports on top, this because I have seen the fuel pump two different ways. let me know how things work out or if you have anymore questions.

955

That helped me more than a million bucks!!! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help. As you can see in my pic of the fuel pump, it looks as if the previous owner had the hoses on top of the fuel pump wrong. I don't have a fluid pump Thanks again

955

Out of curiosity, how well do the vacuum wipers work?

955

Got it, thanks. I'm out in the garage doing this as I type. I'm a bit confused on one thing. It looks as if you show #1 (choke) connecting to the exhaust manifold. I can't see the fitting on your motor because the throttle bracket is blocking it. I do not have a fitting on my exhaust manifold. Also, to confirm, the transmission modulator connects to the intake manifold port right? What do you think?

89,885

I stand corrected i said fluid pump, its not a fluid pump. I did some reading there were two different pumps used on the 61 one with the fittings on top like yours and some didn't. Mine looks like it was jumped out with a hose for one of two reasons. I might not have vac assist wipers or it doesn't work and was jumped out. The hose that i said that goes from the carb directly to the fire wall was for the wipers. I'm not sure if mine has vac assist or not. It maybe elec driven. I have never checked. I have a feeling i have vac assist because my blades pull down when I start the car. I have a feeling my assist does not work and they added the looped tube and ran a direct line. Try this to prove me wrong and let me know take that tube that i said goes into the firewall hook that tube to the top of the carb the intake is the one close to the engine and then hook up the tube coming out of the firewall to the other side. Let me know what happens if so ill get a new fuel pump and hook it up the correct way.

955

I will try the fuel pump experiment when I get her running, hopefully next weekend. My exhaust manifold doesn't have a port for the choke tube. I found this off the internet. Is this whst you are referring to?

955

Here is mine showing no port on the exhaust manifold

89,885

Yep that's the hole and the way it should be set up. Strange your manifold has no hole. Its very important to have even if you live in a warm climate and I'm assuming you have a choke on your carb correct. If you don't have a hole you may need to drill and tap a hole. The best way is to use titanium drill bits harbor freight has a cheap set that works well. I found the best way to drill cast is start with a small bit and work your way up to the size you need.

955

I have another manifold that was on my 144 and it has a hole. For some reason, the manifild on my 170 doesnt have the hole. It looks like a fairly eady fix. I found this just now. I should be good. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/928040-how-to-hook-up-a-vacuum- choke-on-an-inline-6-with-a-1-bbl-carb.html

955

I fixed it! I looked at my other manifold. The tube does not go into the actual exhaust gas stream. It just sits in the metal and gets hot. I drilled a 1/4 hole just now and got some brake line. I'm good to go Thx

89,885

Excellent looks really good and an easy fix, good job...

955

Surprisingly, it took less than 5 minutes

89,885

I found a place that looks like that have you air cleaner, its called CTC Auto Ranch. I don't think you will be able to get the bracket only I have one on a 63 that needs to be painted but it is solid, I get $95.00 for it. Let me kow if your interested,Thanks Dave or AllenCTC Auto Ranch3077 Memory LNDenton TX 76207940-482-3007www.ctcautoranch.com

955

Actually, I was able to get my air cleaner to work just fine. But thanks for looking into it for me If possible, are you able to post some pics of your headliner and the windlace, from front to back? Im getting ready to put mine in very soon Thanks

89,885

I have my windlace in but I have not put in my headliner yet.

89,885

To cold have to wait till spring or summer. Going down to 4 degrees tonight with wind it will be like 20 below 0..

955

Wow, and I thought it was cold here being 31 degrees in Florida LOL

955

Not sure if you had to change the temp sensor yet, but here is what I discovered. At Autozone, the part number for a temp sensor for a '61 Comet with a 2.8 is part #TU14. It has a 3/8 thread pattern. However, the 3/8 thread was too big to fit the hole in my 2.8, which has a 1/8 thread pattern. I eventually found out that the sensor for a '64 Mustang with a 2.8 has the 1/8 thread pattern. The part # for that is # TU22. So if you run across the same issue, this should help.

89,885

I have not change it yet, I'm sure one day I will, thanks for the information.

89,885

How is the engine going are you almost ready to start her up ?

955

I have all of the vacuum lines, fuel lines, transmission cooler lines etc hooked up. If all goes planned, I will start her tomorrow. We will see

89,885

That sounds great and wish you luck getting her started and running.

89,885

Did she start?

955

I filled it with antifreeze and noticed I had a hairline crack on the water pump. I had to take it off and exchange it. When I was there, I noticed that one of the 5/16 threads for the water pump bolt was a little stripped. I decided to drill and tap all 3 holes to 3/8. I knew I had one chance to get it right or my engine was in bad trouble. Thank god ithey tapped with no issues! So now, my motor is reassembled and back to where it was a few days ago. I'd all goes plan, I'll strart her Friday or Saturday

89,885

I hear you on tapping the engine. I needed to tap two holes for my valve cover and I was nervous as well. Glad it went ok and the issue resolved.

89,885

Were you able to start her up over the weekend?

955

I wish. I bought the transmission pan gasket Felpro # TOS18106 from Auto Zone and was getting ready to install it. It was totally the wrong one. All of the auto part stores also show Felpro part # TOS18106 for the '61. Its not even close. I was able to look around and find that a transmission pan gasket for a '62 AMC Classic with a 3.2 L fits the 2 speed transmission. The part # for that is TOS18109. I ordered that and will install it this Friday if all goes as planned. In the meantime, I got all of the engine compartment wiring cleaned up and squared away. Any progress on yours?

89,885

You could have just used Peratex Automatic Transmission RTV Gasket maker, it works great. Well the weather is finally turning here 50 today and tomorrow about 60, YEA !!!! They are calling for rain this whole weekend so I guess I will not take her out yet. Mine runs, I just need to do a whole lot of small things such as I made my own hood insulation, thats needs to get glued on. I have all the weather stripping to do. I need to put all the door handles on as well and the door panels. I have everything I just need some good weather.

955

I read mixed reviews on the Peratex. I know its tranny fluid resistant, but in some cases, it broke off into the tranny and clogged some passages etc. With the actual gasket, you install it dry. What did you use for the hood insulation?

89,885

Look in my garage for the photo. I'm in the HVAC business and we use it as duct liner. We had some left over so I grabbed it and made one. I traced out the out line of the hood and cut it out...just need to glue in on...but I need warm weather...I have used the permatex for years and never had a problem.

89,885

Did you get the tranny gasket and is she up and running?

955

I cranked her but intentionally didn't start it. I wanted to see if all turned good, which it did. I'm converting it to an alternator and should have it wrapped up today. The local guy quoted me $140 to rebuild my generator. I ended up converting to an alternator for less than s $100! $40 for a lifetime warranty alternator,$25 for a lifetime warranty voltage reg and $30 for the conversion brackets from falcon parts. The reg and alternator was for a '65 mustang with a 2.8 if you ever decide to convert

89,885

Thanks for the information

955

Yes. She ran good. I am extremely excited. I'll post a YouTube video and post the link here

89,885

WOW that's great news...job well done, can't wait to see the You Tube....its snowing here today and its been really cold the past week, I wish it would warm up so I can get started.

89,885

How is the car running?

955

After I ran it, I changed the ignition switch and a few other things and was only using the remote starter switch to start it. I was having trouble with keeping it idling and was going crazy trying to figure it out. It would only studder and shake. Come to find out, I didnt have power running to the coil. After I would let go of the remote switch, there was no juice going to teh coil. I thought it was my valve adjustment, carb etc. I was going nuts trying to troubleshoot it. I am going to tighten everything up this Friday and give it a try

89,885

Very Cool, glad you found the problem and got it going. I hate when you over look one little thing, you have your mind racing on all the things you want to get done only to find out you forgot a simple thing. With the cold weather we had here in the northeast, My radiator split on me this past Sunday. I wanted to take her for a ride, the weather was great here and I got a few blocks and she started to overheat. I ordered another radiator and should have it in the next few days. I just can't catch a break.

955

Thats terrible. At least you know you will have a clean radiator now. if I were you, I would get a radiator called Gano Filter. It filters the coolant after it goes from your engine back into teh radiator. It is an inline filter that goes on the upper radiator hose. I added one to mine and they run about $60.00 or so. A definate need if you have a new radiator. The part # you need is ACC-GANO-6 Scroll to 2:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn3gCSAHOu4

955

Here is how easy it is to install and how it looks mounted

89,885

Never knew they made a filter like that. Thanks for the information.

89,885

I got the car running again, new raditor, all new hoses, thermostat and heater core.

955

Good job, I'm sure you are eager to drive it. She should be good to go for a long time with all that new stuff

89,885

Here she goes, I drove her to work this morning, I think my cap is no good, weird I just purchased a new one...

89,885

Another shot

955

Looking good!! Are you referring to the distributor cap?

89,885

No the raditor cap seems to be no good...I got a new one yesterday that should solve the problem. I have a few more things to do in the engine compartment such as paint it and a few other things to dress it up. The weather is nice so ill start on all the weather stripping on the windows they are rattling like crazy. Qoestion have you ever removed the the heater switch the one that controls the fan. I cant seem to remove it any trick that you know of?

955

I'm glad you are getting good weather finally. I removed my heater core permanently and left my switch in for cosmetics. I have wondered the same question too. Before, I mentioned that Falcon and Comet forums aren't much help because no one answers on a timely manner. There is a Facebook page called Ford Falcon Owners Group and is VERY helpful. I asked a question and I got many answers in just a few minutes. They should be able to answers your switch question. Not sure if you are a member already but here is the link just in case https://www.facebook.com/groups/ FordFalconOwnersGroup/

89,885

I don't have a Facebook account, I'll ask my son to go on and ask the question for me. I have tried on a bunch of forums before with not luck. I started to work on the door moldings this weekend, I started with the drivers door first. A little of a pain to get some of the fuzzies off, also the vent window is allot of work, there was some rust as well. So I needed to sand most of the parts and spray a coat of paint. I want to do the doors only one time because as soon as I put the door panels on I don't want to ever have to take them off again.

955

I dont blame you about the door panels. Sounds like you are enjoying the warm weather. As soon as I get my engine squared away, Ill move on to my headliner and door moldings. My old fuel pump had a diaphram leak and was spilling fuel into the oil. I bought an electric fuel pump and will install all of that this weekend.

955

Here is my YouTube video for my motor running. http://youtu.be/RrowJBGN6NQ

89,885

I started working the windows this past weekend (Drives Door) I got it all apart and painted such as the window crank and a few brackets. I also installed new rubber around the quarter window that fit well. I have to install the new glass run and new window channel and should have the drivers door done this weekend. My repair book was vague so it took some time to figure out. I think the rest of them will go well.

89,885

GREAT JOB, sounds really good, their is nothing like a 170 Ford motor it has that distinct sound. Everything is looking good, I like the new alternator, SWEAT ! keep up the good work and you soon be at the car show this summer.

89,885

As soon I get the doors done and the door handles back on, going down to the beach and do a walk around of the car and I will post it on you tube for you to see what you think of the car.

955

Cool, I cant wait to see it. I can tell you already that she is a beauty from just what you posted here

89,885

My son posted to that Facebook site and got an answer, looks like I need a special tool to get it off. I'll order it in the next few days....Thanks for the help.

955

I saw the post, glad you figured it out. The tool is similar to the one VW uses. I made my own out of a long handled flat head screwdriver. I notched the center out with a grinder, almost like a pitchfork. Worked perfectly

89,885

I got the switch in, I never seen the slots in the middle. I used a small neddle nose pliers I have and it came right out. Only problem is the low speed on the motor doesn't work, only the high speed and thats ok. I only need the defrost to work on those cool days here on the northeast. I dont need heat I store the car in the winter.

955

Good deal. You saved 20 bucks!! That Falcon page is an excellent resource. There are dozens of post a day on that page,unlike the forums. There is also 2 Comet pages as well. Between the 3 of them, enthusiasts should be good to go. I look forward to seeing your YouTube video

89,885

Had a nice warm day today and I was able to get my drivers door back together. Looks good the only problem I had but I'll deal with that later, my window regultor on the door was not working correctly before but I thought it would be ok after I put the door together but its not. Its getting stuck at times when I roll it up and down not bad but a pain. I need a new regulator but I can wait a while. I took a ride yesterday and guess what my new raditor is leaking its got a small split. I contacted the seller for an exchange, hope to have a new one in a week.

955

Wow, those look great. They look like they were bought from a store. That terrible about the radiator. Just FYI, Autozone has them for $139.00 with a lifetime warranty. Free shipping until May 7th and as well as 20% off when bought online. You also get a $10 gift card as well. Out the door is around $112.00

955

How did you get the panels to mount to the door?

89,885

I was happy to get the molding all done, new 1/4 window molding and new molding around the glass. All of the molding was crumbling in my hands as I took in apart. I think they needed to be changed after 54 years. I took apart the other door and sanded and painted the parts just need to start putting that door back together again. the back door should go well.

89,885

Thanks, I made them myself over the winter. I used the old brackets and since a couldn't bend the panel (1/8 Luan) like the old ones did. I needed to drill holes in the bottom bracket, you can see the screws on the bottom in the photo. and the arm rest will hold the center in. I contacted the Ebay seller and he will take back the old one back, but its going to be like two weeks for them to ship another one. The summers are to short here to wait that long, so maybe I'll take your advise and buy one from Autozone. If that one goes at least I have a store close to me

955

I really like those panels, good job!

89,885

You were spot on with Auto zone. I ordered the raditor today should have it by the weekend, great price and if anything goes wrong there is one not far from my house to exchange it...I should be up and running again this weekend. Going to my man cave to start working on the other door. Thanks for the help !

955

Good deal. I get most of my mechanical parts from Autozone. 99% of their items have a lifetime warranty. Such good peace of mind knowing if the radiator ever leaks, free swap- What a deal!

89,885

Thanks again, I finished with the other 1/4 window last night and ready to install the glass run and tracks this weekend and should go smooth, just the back doors and I'm done. I can then move on to dressing up the engine, such as new wires and paint the engine bay and I would say for the most part I'm done. Well anyway the hard part, there is always something to fix on a old car.

955

Good deal, keep up teh good work. I may need to ask you a few questions when I get to the door rubber, seals etc

955

Before too long, youll have that thing pretty much rebuilt from bumper to bumper

89,885

Yeah sure no problem, im an expect at this point, lol, what I'll do is take pictures as I put it back together and post them before you start so you will have a ference point, really easy as soon as you get the first on done....

89,885

I took some reference photos, they are also in my garage for you to view. Ill post more as I put it together this weekend.

89,885

Another photo

89,885

Another photos

89,885

Another photo

89,885

Another Photo

955

Man, you are on fire. Good reference pics. As soon as I get my engine bay completed, I will move on to the seals and headliner. I removed the mechanical fuel pump because the diaphram was bad and was leaking gas into the oil. I put a block off plate on and converted to an electric fuel pump. I also put in a Pertronix electronic ignition. TOmorrow will be the first day I start it with the new mods Wish me luck

89,885

I wish you luck, and by the way I may have some extra glass run when I'm done with my windows, not sure until I'm done putting them all back together again. I also have some extra black plastic wire loom that you are welcomed to have if you need it. It will save you a few bucks. /as I said I'll take photos this weekend as I put the windows back together again.

89,885

Check this site out, I got allot of good information and used it as reference when redoing my doors. http://www.classicgarageblog.com/category/1960-1964-mercury-comet/

89,885

Finished the second door today, I put the photos in my garage, you can use them for reference if needed.

955

Good job. She is coming along really well. Your pics will help me alot. Are you running a factory muffler? Im debating if I want to keep the factory muffler or if I want to have just a little agressive sound, nothing crazy and loud. I hear some nice 170's on youtube with glass packs and they sound good

89,885

I'm going to keep in all stock, nothing crazy at all, if mine was a two door I would consider it....iI need a muffler as well, I'll get to that sometime in the summer.

89,885

Did you get the car car running with the new fuel pump and ingintion system installed?

955

I also had to drop my tank and clean out some old gas that was sitting for about a year before I bought the car. thats back in with new lines, filters etc. The sending unit and tank were brand new when I bought it. If all goes as planned, she will be starting by Sunday. Wish me luck lol

89,885

I hear you...then you are all set and ready to go...wish u luck, I think you should be good with no problems, let me know how things turn out. I have some family issues I need to deal with, so I'll will not be working on the car for a few weeks....

955

Read Psalm 91 It will be OK :)

89,885

Magnus May convert the genorator to alternator. Can you list the parts you purchased for the conversation and a detailed wiring digram that you can post.

89,885

Great, thank you sir for all the parts needed, seems straight foward .just one question on the digram for the horn and indicator lights what wires will I need to conect these to from the car. Can you take a photo a post it so I can better understand where these wires are? Thanks so much ill work on this soon. By the way I read psalm 19, very nice....thanks....

955

Here is the megafuse holder: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-Style-Fuse-Bolt-down-Fuse-Holders-and-Fuse-/151670157430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23503ef076

955

Here is the diagram I used. In the bottom pic where it says junction box, you will need to use a 175 amp mega fuse there. It is a very easy quick conversion

955

I didnt use this, but it makes it easy: http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/ONE-WIRE-VOLTAGE-REGULATORS-FOR-ALTERNATOR-23p1013.htm

955

This connector: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CTI0/85842/01539.oap?year=1965&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1333369&ck=Search_01539_1333369_4485&pt=01539&ppt=C0330

955

This from Oreilly because it has a lifetime warranty, Autozone doesnt: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD1/R400/02115.oap?year=1965&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1333369&ck=Search_02115_1333369_4485&pt=02115&ppt=C0330

955

A '65 Mustabg 2.8 liter alternator from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/alternator/duralast-alternator/ford/mustang/1965/6-cylinders-2-8l-1bl/82363_191428_10654/

955

I got this from Falconparts.com: http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1960-1964-ALTERNATOR-BRACKETS-FOR-6-CYL-ENGINES-24p157.htm

89,885

Thanks for all the great information and parts list. However I do have one other question, the indicator and horn wire where does that wire up in reference to the wiring on the 61 the other wires are pretty straight foward. Could you post some photos of these wires so I can get a better understanding.

955

Im off on Friday and Ill post some pics for you. You listed the indicator wire. Are you referring to the turn signal wires? The horn wiring should be the same but Ill confirm on Friday. Oreilly has a horn relay with a lifetime warranty for like 15 bucks. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/R209/01744.oap?year=1961&make=Ford&model=Falcon&vi=1336047&ck=Search_01744_1336047_4485&pt=01744&ppt=C0111

955

Horn relay wiring

89,885

Thank you for all the help

89,885

Added some nice blue spark plugs wires this weekend.

89,885

I also installed my trunk mat and put the spare in the trunk.

955

Looking good. I definately have to get the trunk mat now after seeing your pic

89,885

Amazon like $60.00 with free shipping.. http://www.amazon.com/1961-1963-Mercury-Fleece-Factory-Fit/dp/B00MWBD2S2

955

Perfect, thanks. Also, Im not sure if you made any progress on your wiring. Which wiring pics would you need again? Sorry, I got tied up

89,885

No that's ok I wasn't going to do it right now away, post the photos when you have time, In the photos show how it's wired on your car so I can get a better understanding. I still need to do the muffler and head liner and complete that back doors so I have time on the conversion.

89,885

Painted the engine bay today. I did a quick job. Its the engine no one is going to be looking at it anyway...

955

Your engine is looking really clean. I like the blue wires and cap.

89,885

Thanks the color theme of engine is blue, gray black and Silver. As I get time I'll paint a few other engine parts. I really need to get to the back doors and finish up the windows. But glad I'm able to drive her with the warm weather we are having.

89,885

Started working on the back door this morning. Hope to have this door done by next week.

89,885

Door is painted, need to put it all back together.

955

You are really cranking along. The way you are going, you will have your whole car done by winter. LOL Keep up the good work

955

What carb are you running? My Holley 1908 is leaking gas from the throttle shaft bushing. Can you check yours and see if yours has this much play? Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_KuT6bdo68

955

What kind of paint did you use on the doors?

89,885

https://youtu.be/l5DhaoKXtNA Hard to get a camera to viedo the movement while on the car. I have my old carb that I rebuilt and here is the movement. Yours is allot, way more then mine.

955

That helps alot, thanks. What kind of carb was that in your video? I am looking at possibly getting a Carter YF, which I heard a pretty good. I see them for sale for a reasonable price compared to the Holley 1908's

89,885

It's a Holley 1908, I have the same one on the car now, I had that one done by Untied Rebuilder out of Chicago. I had them do it for me because I needed it done fast. Had it back in less then two weeks $150.00, plus shipping. Then I took my old one and rebuilt it when I had the time over the winter.

89,885

On the Red I used Rust-oleum Auto Body paint, and the black was just regular black Rust-oleum no one will see the black its covered up by the door panel. I wanted the black painted to keep the car clean looking. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/premixed-diy-bulk-paint/auto-body-paint

955

Great job, it looks great. Its bulletproff when fully cured. I am a strong believer in Rustoleum. I used Rustoleum Regal Red to paint my whole car. I used a 4 inch foam roller and thinned it with mineral spirits. I rolled the whole car and it comes out like glass.

955

Here is my old Bus I rolled with Rustoleum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBiiRUDqMg

955

And my Bug I rolled

89,885

The VW's look great, I like how the engine came out. We use to spray our race cars years ago with regular Rust-oleum and they use to come out great when we didn't have the money, I use Rust-oleum Auto paint for the little things that I need to do on this car. I had this car painted with DuPont Single Stage paint, I got it cheap $200.00 a galloon and the my body guy painted it for 600.00 and I think it came out good.

89,885

This car is special to me, when I growing up in my old hood. I used to see this man driving this 61 Comet. I loved the car and said one day I am going to have a car like that. (I was like 12 years old) and when I turned 17 I met a girl (Now My Wife) and I was by her house one day and there in front of her house was the 61 Comet I use to look at all the time driving around and it turned out it was her Uncle's he purchased it new in 61 and told him how much I like the car and wanted one. He had a heart attached some 15 years later and was not allowed to drive. He called me up and said to come over. We got to talking and remembered that I said I wanted his 61. I asked him how much and said you can have it for free as long as you always take care of it, and a mans promise is a mans promise. I have had it about 15 years now and I have been taking care of it ever since. My sons really likes to car to, so when I cant' drive anymore I'll pass it down to him.

955

What a cool story. In that case, you are doing ot right and making sure she looks the best. That will definately be a family token to pass down Did you name the '61?

89,885

What man doesn't, LOL, My wife's nickname is DEENIE and I even had a sticker made and it's in the back window.

955

True, thats funny. My wife is named Ciara but I wanted to pick a '60's name. I chose Edith as my cars name

89,885

As soon as the doors are completed and the handles back on, I'll take her to the beach and shoot that You Tube Video and post it. I should be done in a few weeks.

955

Cool, I am eager to see it

89,885

I came up with a good idea for the video, I just need to take some video of the car and put it all together. If I can't get to the beach I go to a local park and shoot it.

89,885

That's a cool name Edith very 60's

89,885

I got the rear door done, kids got me new handles for fathers day, just have to wait till that day comes

89,885

Here is the rear window sticker with my wife's nickname

89,885

I also got one for my daughter, her nickname is Pumpkin...

955

You are really making good progress. The door panels and stickers look really good.

955

I'm at a stand still on running my motor. I sent my carb out to get rebuilt. I moved to the exterior. I fixed all the dents on the front bumper, painted it and mounted it. The local chrome shops want $800 per bumper to rechrome. No way I am going to pay that. I originally painted the rear white and was debating doing the both white or aluminum color. I did a trial and error on the front and think I will do them both aluminum.

955

What do you think. White

955

White

955

Or aluminum?

955

Aluminum

955

Aluminum looks good on this one

955

And this one

89,885

If I have time today I'll start taking apart the last door and sanding it to get it ready for paint, then I'll save a few dollars and order the head liner. Never did one so this will be a new experience for me, Ill take my time, need to prep, paint and insulate the roof befor the install.

89,885

I would say aluminum looks better then the white. My rear pinion seal started leaking. I had to order a new one, I installed it yesterday with my buddy, while I was there I changed to U Joints, sanded and painted the drive shaft. After everything was said and done, I think my pinion gear is starting to go, it's on the lose side. I'll keep it as it is for now. My drums on the rear are rubbing I think they are warped a little, strange because they are new. Looks like I will have to get them cut.

89,885

Happy fathers day, just when I thought I was catching up on things with car, something else goes wrong. Anyway I was driving around with the car yesterday and I look down and notice that both my fuel and temperature gauge were pined. I know the car wasn't filled with fuel nor the car was over heating. I starting reading on line and found the there is what is call a constant voltage regulator in the dash that seems to be bad. Well anyway I think that's what it is. I'll order it today and change it out and hope it corrects the problem. How is the car running did you get the carb back from the rebuilder?

955

The carb is still at the rebuilder. Autozone has the constant voltage regulators for around 50 bucks. They have a lifetime warranty. Everywhere else, the warranty is way less. While you have the cluster off, you might want to check out putting LED's in place of the standard bulb. Only problem is, they don't dim. I put them in my cluster and they are extremely white and bright

955

Here is where I bought them http://pages.ebay.com/link/? nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360999 678785&globalID=EBAY-US

955

Here they are

955

Here they are

955

Here they are

89,885

That's is cool, the link did not work, and how many did you need to buy for the dashboard cluster? I already purchased the constant voltage regulator, 25.00 no tax and free shipping. I'm sure it will no go again in my lifetime, LOL

89,885

I'll have it this week, instead of working on the last door, I guess I'll work on the dash instead. I was going to take it off anyway and repaint the dash, but I guess I will be doing that now. I would like to order those light and have them shipped to me by this weekend..

955

I think I used like 7 or 8 LED's See if this works

955

http://m.ebay.com/itm/3609996787 85?_mwBanner=1

955

eBay # 360999678785

89,885

ok go it, do they go right into the old socket, that's what it seems in your picture, if so that would e a huge deal for me, because my lights are soooo dim right now.

955

Yes the pop right in, no mods needed

89,885

Great, I ordered them, the light seems bright and hopefully I will be able to see the dashboard more clearer at night.

89,885

I removed the cluster as far I could when I got home from work. I should be able to get my hand behind it and change out the bulbs and voltage regulator. Ill finish up with it on Saturday when I get the parts in....

89,885

Thanks for the idea on the LED lights...

955

You will love the LED's. Like I said, the only bad thing is they can't be dimmed. Where did you buy the constant voltage regulator from?

89,885

I was going to replace them with regular blubs at some point, because at night I can barely see the gauges, I never considered LEDs. Its going to look so cool with the dash being bright, not being able to dim them is not a big deal to me. Im excited to have this done, thanks again for the idea. I got my part from Macs, The part was $25.00, as a long time customer (20 years) I get free shipping on my parts depending on the weight.

89,885

By the way I have some extra black plastic wire loom that you are welcomed to have if you need it. I also have extra glass run enough for two windows, it will save you a few bucks. Let me know Ill ship it to you.....

89,885

I got the constant voltage regulator in yesterday, installed it and it working really good. Before the fix my temp gauge would go a little past 1/2 and the gas gauge was at about 1/2 as well. Now with the new constant voltage regulator gas gauge and temp are at a1/4. So I think the constant voltage regulator was going bad and sending a wrong single for some time...Just waiting on the bulbs and I can button her all back up...I hope no more issues I want to get the last door done...

955

Thanks for the offer on the parts. I literally just ordered the glass run a few days ago. Thanks anyway You got that voltage regulator pretty quick. Im glad things are going smoothly. Im still waiting on my carb to rebuilt. If I dont get a call from them by Monday, Ill call them

89,885

The blubs will be sometime next week, If the weather is good here over the weekend I'll start on the last door. I'm hearing a grinding noise coming from the back wheels, I have a feeling the rear wheel bearing are going. that not a big job, just more time that's hard to find...

89,885

Magnus, I installed the LED blubs and it screwed up all my wiring. First I was getting a feedback back to the genorator and it almost went on fire. Then I got a major short in the dash lights. The dash starting smoking. I dont think LEDs are meant for a car that uses a generator. Anyway I was able to get the genorator light, oil light, blinkers, and headlights to work again. However I lost the dash lights and high beam indicator light is not working. I think the light switch burnt out or a fuse has blown. I have to wait till I have time to get into figuring out whats wrong. I'll never use LEDs ever again...

955

That's odd. Good thing you caught it. There are a lot of guys with LED's and generators on the Falcon Facebook page. They loved them but had the gripe they weren't able to be dimmed. Are you sure there wasn't a broken wire somewhere?

955

Here is the switch if yours is burnt. http://m.autozone.com/autozone- mobile/en/parts/1961-Ford- Falcon/Headlight-Switch/_/N- iykgdZ37x3kr?showymme=true

89,885

No broken wires at all, all my lights were working fine before, they were just dim. I got all the lights to work other then the dash lights. now I have to case wires back to see the cause. With a bad back it makes it hard if I need to get under the dash.

89,885

Magnus, I ordered the switch today should have it by the weekend. Question? Its hard for me to get to the under the dash with my back. I pulled the dash cluster off and I can see the switch. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong here. The switch looks like its held onto the fuse box with two metal clips, Correct? It looks like if I unscrew the switch form the dash the fuse box and switch assembly will come out as one unit and then remove the clips from the switch, Correct?

955

You should be able to reach in the opening where the cluster goes. Remove the bezel nut and on the old switch, there will be a button that you push and the headlight stem comes out. The 2 clips hold the switch to the fuse box. If for some reason you cant get your switch or its on backorder, Autozone has the switch for $19.99 and a lifetime warranty

89,885

Thanks, that's what I thought, I got the switch for 20.00, no tax and free shipping, should have it by the end of the week. I hope that this is the problem. I hate chasing wires...

89,885

HAPPY 4TH

955

Same to you. I got my carb back today. I havent opened the box yet. Ill post a pic when I get home. I decided to go with half moon hubcaps and beauty rings. They look great. I had the stock 13' hubcaps on but diodnt like them. Ill sell them on ebay

955

Here are my old ones. Ill sell them for $50.00 shipped if you know anyone who needs them

89,885

The half moons do looks good, what happened to the red/white and blue caps you had? I thought my switch was coming intoday, but nothing. Maybe tomorrow. I wish I could work on the car but my daughter graduated with her degree as a teacher so we are having big party for her, plus I got a cortisone shot in the back yesterday. I see you got a new antenna and you still need to paint the front bumper silver. The car is starting to look really good.

955

Congrats on your daughter, what s great accomplishment. I decided to sell the red white and blue ones because the center caps showed stress cracks. The actual metal hubcap w

955

Congrats on your daughter, what s great accomplishment. I decided to sell the red white and blue ones because the center caps showed stress cracks. The actual metal hubcaps were intact. I just wanted something nice and clean. I decided to leave the bumpers white.

89,885

Still no switch, I don't feel comfortable driving the car with an electrical issue. looks like it will be here mid week. I'll work on it over the weekend...Did you get the carb in the car, if so how is it running?

955

It will be worth the wait. Hopefully, that switch will last another 50 years. I got teh carb mounted and its good to go. I will start her Friday... Wish me luck

955

If for some reason your switch is on backorder, Autozone has it for $19.99, lifetime warranty http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/headlight-switch/duralast-headlight-switch/mercury/comet/1961/6-cylinders-2-4l-1bl/764761_0_0/

89,885

The carb looks good, my part is coming I tracked it last night and should be here today. I hope that this is what is causing the problem with the lights. I let you know after I install it....

955

Any luck with the switch? I got my motor started. Runs like a top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSFt0ejXNaE

89,885

Congratulations she is running really sweat. I like the you tube. Yep I got the switch in today, I installed even with my bad back. All the lights are now working, but with that short I had and feeding back to my genrator I think I smoked her. It got dark so I'll test it on Saturday when I have more time to see if there may be another short.

89,885

New switch installed

89,885

I took her for cruise last night and I made sure it was dark so I could see the dash with the new blubs installed (not the LEDs) and it looks really good and nice to see the whole dash board working well and a switch thats working well. Now I just need to test the genorator ill do that this weekend. Now maybe I can get to that last door and shoot that you tube.....or maybe Ill shoot it without completing the last door...lets see how the weather is going to be here on Sunday...

955

Good job on the lights and switch. If for some reason the guy cant rebuild nthe generator, you can convert to alternator and buy a lifetime warranrt alternator for about $40.00, the bracket for about $30.00 and $17.00 for the voltage regulator

89,885

I wanted to convert and you posted the information for me, but after thinking about it, I think it best that I keep the car as original as possible. It's a promise I made to the gentleman that gave me the car and I think I should keep it.

89,885

Magnus Question for you, would you still have your old genorator, I have a problem I removed my old generator today and I tried to removed the pulley and guess what? I will not come off, I soaked the shaft even heated it up and while trying to get it off I bent the whole thing really bad, If you are not using your pulley and if you are able to remove it, I am willing to purchase it from you, because Im having a hard time finding one, I would need just the pulley because I have the new generator on order, Thanks

955

Sorry, I sold the generator on Craigslist a few months ago. if you want, I can post a wanted ad on the Facebool Falcon page that you are looking for a pulley. Im confident someone will have one

89,885

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I can't beleive it, I got it off somehow, alittle bent but it came off. Now a bigger problem, either I have short in my genrator wiring , or the new one is not charging. I made sure I polarized the new one since it may have been laying around, I triple checked the wiring, new voltage regulator and I charged the battery overnight, I have 12.2 volts at the battery. Its strange say even if the new generator isn't charging I would take power direct from the battery which has a enough voltage not to cause the light to come on, because the light only comes on when voltage drops below a certain point. Im going on vacation the next few days, Ill tackle it when I get back. Ill check the voltage amount at the genorator light and see how much I have if its above 12 volts then I may have a short to the light. All this because of those LED lights, I hate chasing wiring, its taking away from me finishing my door and headliner. Away way thanks and I'll get vack to it when I get home in a few dsys. If there is something you can think of, please post it, maybe you could ask the question on that falcon facebook accout for me. Everything is new, new light switch, new generator, battery at 12.2 volts, new voltage regulator, all new blubs. Im stumped....thanks talk soon...

89,885

Ok, I got home yesterday from vacation and the genorator light was on my mind the whole time so I took today off...GREAT NEWS I GOT IT TO WORK ! Auto Zone gave me the wrong voltage regulator so it wasnt putting out enough voltage and keeping the light on..so with that I installed the correct one and everthing is back to normal again. I lost two weeks working on other projects, now I can get back to the last door...all these headaches for some LED blubs...

955

That's strange you had trouble with the LED's. A lot of guys on the Falcon page run LED's with the generator with no issues. Glad you got it squared away

89,885

Beleive me I was saying the same thing, I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling one of the LED blubs I had was not sitting in the socket correctly. Causing a short and feeding back through the electrical system. Whats strange it didn't trip a fuse. It was a pain but I got all new blubs, new generator, switch and voltage regulator installed and should be good for the next 50 years. I only have a few months of good weather and would like to drive the car, There is a antique car drive next month I would like to participate in. I can start working on the last door this weekend and hope to have it done soon.

89,885

Magnus, I found out that these straight ford 6's were having trouble returning oil back to the head. I found this on line, I'm sure it not made anymore, but it looks like it can be made with a few fittings, I may give it try when I'm done with everything else...

955

Wow, what a good simple but great idea. I could get a valve cover that has a hole for the PCV valve or just drill a hole in the one I have now and put the fitting in there Thanks for the good idea!

89,885

Shot a quick youtube of my engine running https://youtu.be/XoecJBlFsgQ

955

What a gorgeous engine. Looks and sounds great

89,885

Thanks, I still have a few things to complete, I want to replace all the brake lines, clean up the master cylinder and I purchased sliver wire loom to cover up the wires. I'm just glad its up and running again. I hope to start on the last door, I had things come up this week and couldn't get to it. I know I keep saying I'll do a you tube of the car, I just cant seem to find the time...Your engine is running good as well. I like all the extras that you added, like the switch for the alternator, the radiator filter...

955

Thanks. You have a beauty. These pics are from Friday. Headliner is next and then the glass.

955

These pics are from Friday

89,885

SHE IS LOOKING REALLY GOOD, I think she looks good with the moon caps, the color combo is sweat...You are really moving along with her and soon you will be cruising to the show thst you were telling me about. I'll post a few photos of mine...

89,885

I took a few photos, I have a few more in my garage.

955

She looks sweet. There is nothing better than a classic car that's black. You have a real beauty there.

955

What size tires are you running?

89,885

Thanks and they are the standard 13" , 4 lug tires

89,885

I have added a few more photos to my garage

955

Can you post the actual tire size? For example 135-75R15 Thanks

89,885

P165/80R13

955

What did you end up using to mount your door panels? Is it still holding them on well? Trial and error?

89,885

I did a quick you tube video of the car, not what I really wanted to do, but I think it came out ok. https://youtu.be/GIztmlOvIE8

89,885

I used the old brackets and since a couldn't bend the panel (1/8 Luan) like the old ones did. I needed to drill holes in the bottom chrome bracket, the arm rest will hold the center in. I think on your we talked about using a heavy duty Velcro at points on the panel to hold it in place.

955

Great video. She is a beauty. I am definitely envious

89,885

Thanks but dont be, I have allot of little things that I need to get get done with her, looks good on the outside but there is still allot I need to do under that body. I have my buddy coming over to help me with the rear wheel bearings this weekend, I drove her on the highway last night for the first time, got that 170 engine up to 55 mph on the highway WOW. LOL...my front brakes are rubbing for some reason, easy fix ill look at that that weekend. Anyway well we got that hot weather here finally on the Northeast heatwave 90 plus for the next 7 days, but I guess thats normal for you down in Florida, Lol.

89,885

Well I learned something new today, in my last post I said to you my brakes sounded like they were rubbing. Well it turns out that the rotors that they make today need to be fitted or turned to your cars hub like what we have on our 61's. What happens if you put the rotor on like I did and it seemed to me to be ok when I installed them. They are not, when you put the wheel on, the wheel crushes the roto onto the wheel hub and bends it and that's what happened to mine. So if you are doing your brakes anytime soon and need new rotos make sure you have then turned and fitted to the wheel hub...

89,885

I decided to redo all the brake lines on the car, I got the new master cylinder in yesterday and ordered the new lines and should be here by the end of the week...I'm also still waiting for the brake rotos and wheel cylinder to arrive. I'll be without a car for a few weeks but I'll feel better knowing the brakes will be in tip top shape...

955

You converted your brakes to disc? Do you see a big difference? How much were the rotors?

89,885

No I didn't, as I was saying I'm keeping the car all original, The front drums bent so I ordered new ones and a brake cylinder was leaking and I have that on order as well. While I'm there I'll change the brake lines...

955

You mentioned that you put rotors on is why I asked. Thanks for the good info

89,885

Sorry, I should have said drums, hard to remember when you work on both new and old cars, LOL

955

Thats good info to know. I am in order to redo my brake system as well. They stop well but of for the price it is to do it, its not to bad and worth it

89,885

These are the ones I ordered from Auto Zone http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-drum-front/duralast-brake-drum-front/mercury/comet/1961/6-cylinders-2-8l-1bl/51219_0_11040/ I have attached a photo of the drum and where it needs to be cut and fitted to the spindle of the car. It may seems like it fits, but it does not... I know you like Auto Zone Parts..

955

Does the drum or hub get crushed?

89,885

The drum got crushed, its doesn't fit perfect, its seems like it does, but its off like 2 cm just enough to bend the drum. if you drive short distances you will not notice because the drums don't heat up, but like I did drive on the highway it will...

89,885

Ok, Im back on track, I got the drums cut yesterday and it's a perfect fit. I decided to order and install new front brake cylinders and install new pads. I started on my first brake last night. I installed a new brake line, new cylinder and pads. Busy this weekend and ill start on the other side next weekend.

955

Good deal, Im glad your back on track. The guy you got the car from would be happy with what your are doing to her. I got my motor finished. The motor is aquared away and the engine bay is clean and painted. Ill attack the headliner Friday

955

Another pic...

955

One more...

89,885

Looking really good, please post picture as you a doing the headliner, mine needs to get done as well, like to get an idea of the steps needed. Thanks

89,885

Got the new master cylinder in, new brake switch, I also got all new brake lines, the fronts are installed and the main brake line going to the back is installed as well, however the lines they sent for the back are way to big. I should have the replacements by next week. I installed two new front brake cylinders and had those new drums cut and fitted. So the brakes should be completed by next weekend. Now I hope Nothing else goes wrong and I can finally finish that back door, because I have that show I want to go to in early September. ...

955

Looks great. Good peace of mind knowing that the breaks are in good order and safe

89,885

I got the back lines in, I filled it up and checked for leaks and I'm good with no leaks, I have my buddy coming over to give me a hand bleeding them on Sunday.

89,885

I finally installed the hood insulation that I made over the winter, I have attached photo, what do you think...?

89,885

Another photo of the hood insulation

955

What s great idea. I will have to do that. Looks like it came from the factory that way

89,885

Thanks, I work in the HVAC industry and I took 1" duct board thst we sell , sanded in dowm to 1/2" and I thought about gluing it be felt it would not hold. I purchased the flat hold down clips and silicone them to the hood and installed them. The best part in was free, lol...

89,885

Im good to go, my buddy came over and we bled the brakes and I got my state inspection done as well, im back on the road and can enjoy the final weeks of summer and get ready for that car show which means completing that last door. I only have two weeks to get it done...

89,885

I added my car to Wikipedia.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Comet

955

Very cool. She looks great

89,885

Thanks, the summer is almost over here in the North East a few more weeks of good weather then things will be turning colder and I will start getting ready to put the car away for the winter months....with all the little problems I have had with her the summer, I hope to get the last door done before putting her away. Long weekend coming lets see what happens...Enjoy labor day !

955

Thats good. Im lucky, I have all year to work on the car. You are cranking right along. Have a good long weekend also

5

Hey nice job guys - How difficult is it to get trunk lid and rear fenders for 60 - 61 2-Door ex junk yard?

955

t shouldn't be too hard. You can download a Craigslist app that lets you search all 50 states. Thats how I found a lot of my parts

5

Many thanks. I did as you say but not much about at the moment, guess I'll keep looking.

89,885

Try this guy he may have something...http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

5

Many thanks Joe looks promising.

89,885

Magnus what up? hope you had a nice labor day. I'm moving right along I got my last door painted this weekend. Tonight when I get home I'll start putting it together and should be done in a day or so. I also put the three front fender trim pieces on and that's it for the trim on the car. I'm going to my first car show and showing the car this coming weekend, the show is right on the beach and they are calling for good weather and I can't wait..

955

Im glad you are cruising along. Sounds like you are getting alot done. If all goes as planned, I will be attacking the headliner next Friday. I have some little things to do to the exterior this Friday. Ill keep you posted

89,885

Great ,That still one of the things I need to do, please post as many photos as you can during the installation so I can get an idea how it is done...Good Luck..

89,885

YEA ! I got the last door done, I'm so happy to be done with the doors with all the other problems I have had to deal with this summer, it is so nice...

89,885

The fender emblems are done as well, just a wash and wax and off to the show...

955

Looking really really great!!

89,885

Thanks just need to install the headliner, and a few other things like the muffler (Stock), rear wheel bearing and if I can save enough money have the seats redone...

955

I got my seat upholstery from Jake at Original Falcon and Comet Interiors. He was nice enough to let me pay for the front covers and then pay for the rears at a later date. They look excellant and are made very very well. http://www.falconcometinteriors.com/

89,885

Thanks what was the price he charged you? I was getting prices for around $1,000.00 for front and back...

955

$595.00 shipped for front and back. This guy is really good

89,885

Wow that's a really good price. He emailed me and he wants me to email him photos of my seats, but I can't till this show is over....I'm telling you guys were giving me prices of a $1,000.00 and more....Thanks soooo much for the information....

89,885

OMG, I went to the show yesterday and what a really good show. There are some guys that have spent thousands on their cars. But a great day on the beach and I got to meet some nice people, nice cars and nice to see people looking at my car and saying it was nice....

955

Im glad you had a good time. If you can , post some pics

89,885

I didnt bring phone with me, i didnt take photos but this is the you tube link from last year. I have my camcorder and will post a you tube... https://www.google.com/url? sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.c om/watch%3Fv%3Deqbfesdl- Ho&ved=0CCEQtwIwAGoVChMIluaqhdiMyAIVA 3I- Ch25XwEA&usg=AFQjCNEMOPm1XrbpPnVdJu OIPn1Mqi7ETw

89,885

This is my You Tube, its only 36 Seconds, does not show any other car but mine.....https://youtu.be/QUUpvJn2kAk

955

She looks great. Looks brand new. I cant wait to get mine done

89,885

You will and its going to look as good as mine....Now I have to save up for the seat covers, It's Fall here started today and the car will be going away in a few weeks for the winter and I'll save up and order the seat covers and I'll work on them over the winter months....

955

Ill take some pics this weekend of the seat covers and post them here. They are seriously top notch

89,885

Ver