SHIFTER PROBLEMS

1,975

Asked by Oct 22, 2015 at 12:10 AM about the Ford Galaxie

I just got this 64 GALAXIE 500, 69,000 miles from CAL. The column sifter jumps from park to reverse, from time to time, is it in the steering column? or is it in the linkage? they both feel sloppy, i could tighten the linkage, but is there a way to tighten the sifter inside the steering column itself. and i herd there always had a problem with the front hubcaps coming off, when i'm driving, it's happen to me more then once or twice??

1,975

here's a few pic's of the 390 4v, when i first got it

1,975

After i got new valve covers, sand blasted, painted and new decals....what do you guy's think?

625

I've had a 64, 66 and 67 Galaxie. I never had a problem with the shift linkage. There are some after market shifters you can install that have different linkages, you might want to look into that. What kind of tranny do you have? The steel they made the hub caps out of were stamped rolled steel... they would shrink in winter and expand in summer... hence them just popping off.

31,585

Check the shift collar for wear (part that the shift handle is attached to). Also you could have a problem with the shift tube (tube that passes through the steering column) or the bushings that connect the shift linkage to the transmission. Nice looking car! The old 390 motors were pretty powerful in their day.

1,975

Thanks, AgeeKustoms & Bob, It's got the cruse-o-matic three speed auto, not a C, 4-6, 335 hp and 410 lbs/torque, it will turn the tires over @45-50 mph shifting from first to second..@3,700 RPM'S It's fun to drive!!!! i'll check the shift collar, and tube tomorrow and get back to you guys...

5,975

The old 1960's Fords had a flimsy nylon piece to lock the shifter in Park but they were notorious for jumping out of Park into Reverse. I had a 1965 Mercury Monterey with a C-6 and a 390 big block. I had a slanted driveway and that Merc jumped out of Park one day and rolled backwards down the driveway and up the lawn across the street into my neighbor's limestone planter in front of his house busting it all up. Only put a scratch on the rear bumper but destroyed that planter. I called my insurance company and they paid to have the planter rebuilt for him. That nylon tab in the steering column wore down quickly and didn't hold with any tension on it. I bought a big rubber wheel chock and kept it on the backseat floor. Every time I parked that Merc, I pulled that wheel chock out of the car and put it behind the rear tire just incase. I never had a problem after that. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval