Need advice on bench seat repair: seat covers or bucket seats

45

Asked by May 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM about the Ford Torino

Hi everybody, I am looking for advice. I have a '70 Ford Torino that I am slowly repairing
and am forced to be very budget conscience. I am not a purist so there are times when I
need to "do it cheap" rather than "doing it right". My Torino is running like a champ (351
Cleveland!) so now I would like to improve how the car looks. The original bench seat in
front is disintergrating- but my question is do I spend $300 on a temporary seat cover or
do I put that money toward a pair of (inexpensive) bucket seats. If I go with bucket seats
does anybody have any suggestions on where I could buy some? Please remember
money is an issue so I don't care about original anything but am hoping for a basic bucket
seat that has a retro/70's look to it. Thank you one and all.

7,275

You might want to try Ebay. It's a good place to find bucket seats either used or new. I saw some on there that were pretty cool looking for around $200 and these were new. Sometimes you can find a used pair really cheap but shipping sometimes is a killer so maybe something close to home so you can do a pickup only on them. Just do a search for bucket seats for sale and see what comes up, you might get lucky. If they aren't the right color you can dye them with vinyl spray dye. SEM, Duplicolor and VHT all make vinyl dye in a spray can. That stuff works real good if you clean the seats off with soap and water, let them dry overnight atleast then wipe them down again only with an alcohol pad(any pharmacy sells them for $1. for a box) right before any painting is done. It's best to take the seats apart first then reassemble a couple days after painting. Good Luck with the Torino. Kenny/MrBlueOval

Best Answer Mark helpful
9,295

Depending on where you are, you may find a pair of nice bucket seats from a 77 to 79 Thunderbird, Cougar, or LTD II. They are nice looking, and very comfortable.