Just inherited 1999 C280 with 38,000 miles on it. Should I take it to a dealer and have diagnostics run before using it on a daily basis?

Asked by May 16, 2014 at 06:48 PM about the Mercedes-Benz 280

Car has only been driven about 100 miles a year since 2007.  Have just had new tires
and an oil change done.  Needs a new headliner and badly needs detailing inside and
out.
Car only driven about 10 miles a month by various nurses to task my Mom to the
doctors. The only maintanance was putting in gas and taking it to dealer's when ever a
dash light came on.
This will be my only mode of transportation and I want to make sure I'm doing
everything possible to have the car last for another 10 years.  I put about 5000 a year
on a car.

8,905

Yes, have it checked out first. A Mercedes properly cared for can last forever, BUT, as most mechanics will tell you, Sitting for long periods of time with little use just kills them. You NEED to drive it regularly - even if for only a short while. 10 miles at a time is not enough. There are a host of service items that are probably needed because of its age - not its miles. Get those done and you should be fine - do have your mechanic check for dry/cracked seals. This would be from not being used. If there is no leaking of air or fluids - then you are good to go. Some items that need to be done are brake fluid flush and transmission filter and fluid. These are important - but do not have to be done by Mercedes (unless you just like paying to much).