1971 - 280SL - Speedometer

Asked by Sep 16, 2010 at 02:43 PM about the Mercedes-Benz 280

1971 - 280SL
Does anyone know how to take the speedometer out of the dashboard?  How is it held in place?
Thanks in advance for any reply
Garoolgan
garoolgan@yahoo.com

65

This is a knuckle buster, it has been a long time since I have done this, so I may leave something out. But to get you started, the speedo, tach, and center indtruments are all held in place by a U bracket with a center stud coming out of the instrument (speedo). Drop the park brake 2 bolts if I remember, to be able to put your hand in(it helps if you have small hands), unscrew the cable and the knurled nut the goes thru the U bracket, It will then pull out, you may or may not have to remove some of the other instruments,gauges, etc. to get to.Good luck, keep the bandades handy.

Skkeller - Thank for your input. I'll now translate this into French for my local mechanic... including the band-aids!! Garoolgan

Removing the cluster and the speedo gauge is the easy part! The difficulty for me is putting in back in place...without breaking the glass lens. This piece will move and shift while you are attempting to fit the gauge back in the slot. I am thinking about using a few drops of gel super glue on the spots which touch the rim...to stabilize this part of the operation? You just have to be patient and find time and the right light and temperature environment for this procedure... I have had two attempts now... practice runs... now I am committed to getting this done.... I removed the gauge and sent it off to be rebuilt... even the Mercedes mechanic broke the glass on another model.. he has years of experience and refused to do this work. Remember your model making days.... play some Mozart to keep calm...