Can a car start and drive on low compression?

Asked by Jul 25, 2015 at 05:16 PM about the Holden Commodore

Results came back between 65 and 100 psi. We did our own compression test with
results coming back between 135 and 150 psi (warm engine). I'm pretty confident in our
results. Went back to AA and pretty much got accused of changing the motor or
tampering with the cylinders. So my question if the compression was that low would it be
able to start, turn over and drive like a V8?

68,585

With compression readings that low on all cylinders, it wouldn't run, at all. Those readings, if true, indicate a jumped timing chain/belt or damaged valves. Whomever did the compression test either has a faulty compression tester, did the test wrong, or is lying to you. Since the engine runs, your test results sound accurate. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer