pullin the clock out of the dashboard

15

Asked by Oct 24, 2009 at 05:23 PM about the Ford Ka

hey guys the backlight on my ka's clock isnt working and i want to pull the clock out to see whether the bulb's burnt or basically sort out whatever's wrong, but i cant find a way of pulling the clock out, apart from taking it out from behind which means taking the dashboard out  (and i dont think ford are going to do such a thing).
so please if anyone has a clue of how this job is done would you let me know??
thanks alot, Nathan

15

curiosity didnt let me sleep.. i googled it and found that you simply yank it out with a screwdriver (had tried last week but was afraid that i would break it lol) anyway I had a spare bulb running around and changed it.. (at half past midnight xD) its quite dim tho i want to see whether i can get something a bit brighter.. anyway hope this helps someone.. nath

10

Is there a special type of bulb for the clock or do I just get a dashboard bulb? My light has stopped working too! Trying to fix it but new to this sort of thing :-)

45

hi the bulb you need has a finis code of 6097990 it costs £1.55 inc vat retail from your ford dealer :-)

50

Just done this on my wife's 1999 (V) 1.3 Ford KA. The clock has the elongated digits. You can buy the clock bulb at Halfords ref 509T for £2.40 if the Ford dealer is too far away or hasn't got one in stock (like mine hadn't). The tiny bulb comes with its own plastic fitting. Gently prise the clock out of the dash. No need to take apart the clock. Look at the back (photo attached), and twist the bulb a quarter turn either way with a pair of thin-nosed pliers or similar. It will pop out. Pop the new one in and do a quarter turn. Good luck!