Cam Timing

3,685

Asked by Mar 17, 2010 at 06:50 AM about the Plymouth Barracuda

Last winter when freshening the engine I tried advancing the cam timing 4 degrees to increase cylinder pressure.  Reasoning was to better take advantage of the E85 Octane.  Didn't work.  Added .2 seconds to the 1/4 mile ET and hurt speed by 2 MPH.  Reset it straight up last week and, well, WOW, sure can feel the difference!  Look for us at Cordova May 15th where we'll kick off our True Street Series season for 2010.

3,685

Photo taken at Cordova.

thing about the E85 or other gas with ethonol is if you let it set the gas will jell.

3,685

Really? Never had that problem. Diesel will gell in climate extremes but ethanol and methanol were once used instead of glycol based anti freezes. What's your source on that?

yea I know about diesel,im a owner operator,how I know about the gas now days,is cleaning out gas tanks since it was aded to gas.

3,685

Now I understand. What you're seeing there is the leftover additives after the gasoline has evaporated out. I've seen this in untreated carbs on lawn equipment and hobby vehicles not properly treated before leaving to sit. I know its not the ethanol because I use it to clean carbs before rebuilding. Works as good as Gumout and is MUCH cheaper!

NO ,not leftover additives.

3,125

Ethanol is an alcohol and of course it will absorb water and make it miscible with gasoline . therefore any thing with ethanol / gasoline mix will suffer the detrimenat effects of water as well , IE rust , corrosion , gummy deposits

3,125

that leftover gel after evaporation is just the shit they sell you when you buy gas these days . it's not gas , it's not even fuel but I'll bet it makes oxygen when it burns to clean up emmissions