WHY SUCH LOW MILAGE? REAL ANSWERS PLEEEEASE.

Asked by Feb 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM about the Audi R8

Long ago my brother owned a 300SL Gullwing.  I sadly owned only a Lotus Europa.  We both drove them every day.  Why are good interesting cars apparently driven very very little. Are the owners buying them just for show? As a investment?  OR ARE THEY THAT DELICATE AND SUBJECT TO BREAKDOWNS?  I ask because I am finally again thinking of buying an interesting car for a change.

235

cars most people consider "more interesting" tend to be less pactical and down right anoying as a daily driver/commuter. these kinds of cars are bought more to be used for fun (on a weekend or a race track for e.g.) an extreme example would be lalamborghini... a brilliant car to drive and look at and a lot of fun. but to use everyday in traffic would be unbearable as the field of vision is poor, also it has no cargo space for things like your shopping, and not something i would leave in a carpark with people that back into them and run or vandals that damage them because they can.

Appreciate your message... sure, I understand another vehicle needed, but just had not conisdered the visiblity aspect... foolish of me since when I had the Lotus centuries ago, pick up truck next to me truly did not realize I was even there...close call... one forgets and only remembers the good things....also now for first time remember that my "view" was often just the guard rail! But you are NOT saying mechanical issues.....Thanks again.

235

i would sugest once you narrow down which car you are interested in to do some research on it like its reliability also have a mechanic give it a pre purchase inspection as they know what to look for to see if the car has been misstreated or not looked after properly or if that paticular car is more likely to have issues. and also things like can i put it in your shed as i had a friend that bought a car about a year ago and because it was low and his driveway entrance had a bit of a bump in it he couldn't get it up there and the car wad to live on the road for a week till he could get his driveway altered. also with some more exotic or rare cars it can be harder to find a mechanic that can or is willing to work on it when it comes time to service it.