Is there some kind of a relay switch i can check for the brake lights and blinkers?

Asked by Sep 12, 2008 at 07:13 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Corsica

My 1994 chevy corsica had a dead battery and i got a jump start as my friend was disconnecting the jumper cables the car shut down. we reconnected the cables and it started up fine but now my brake lights and blinkers are'nt working on the interior or exterior. i checked all fuses in the fuse box in the interior. and disconnected the battery to reset but still not working. also the abs warning idiot light is on. Im wondering if there is a relay switch i can check??

9,435

Your Blinkers and brake lights are on two different relays. Double check fuses. They both go through your hazard switch. See if the hazard lights are working, it may be your problem. Brake light switch is not normally tied to the blinker system. Turn signal switch is not normally tied to the brake light system.

Best Answer
1,015

brake lights and signal lights are both routed through the turn signal switch in the steering column. Thats how when you are stopped at a light and signalling to turn, one rear light is on constantly and one flashes. Get a wiring diagram and check the output of the switch at the base of the steering column. If the fuses are good, this is the next thing in the circuit, BEFORE the flashers.

9,435

You may be incorrect. Your logic is there, but in my experience the flasher switch is what deactivates your brake light when the turn signal is on. It overides a constant on in the presence of a detected pulse. Your turn signal switch can go out and your brake lights WILL WORK. I have attached a wiring diagram for you. The flasher switch WILL override both brakes and turn signals...

105

This similar problem happened to mazda 626, but the whole fuse box needs to be replaced. Now, with brake lights that act as turn signal lights, those bulbs have a double filament, so, I think brake lights will be running with your turn signal lights. Unfortunately, with a problem like this, you have to really pay attention to wiring diagram and map out what is going on...but I believe the answer is in the fuse-box(es), not ONE individual relay.

9,435

That is a very good recommendation, especially if you have other things not working on the car. The turn signals, brake lights, flashers, and marker lights all run off of seperate fuses and relays on this vehicle according to the wiring diagram. It very well can be an accumulation of failures.

hey Michael, my 94 suburban blinkers have been going out one at a time, the front left first, then the frnt right, now the rear right, the remaining rear blinker flashes quickly and the clicker is clicking faster than usual,the turn signal on the dash is not showing for the turn signal just for the hazard. they all work when hazard switch is on. would you have any idea what the problem might be? I would appreciated, thank you