my car wont start????

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier

i was repairing my car cuz it had a antifreeze leak as i was tightening all the screws
putting the exhaust manifold back on the happened to be a random spark out of know
where idk where it came from counting on i was touching nothing electrical so i didn't
think much about it i waited an hour for the silicone to dry a bit n the i tried to start my
car but it wont start i get no noise no lights nothing. i tried to jump start the car n it still
wont go i checked all the fuses under the driver side steering wheel n they seem good
someone told me to check the fuse under the hood but i dont have a fuse box theri got
anoied and took the keys out of the car i tried to look up things on my fone when i herd
a weird noise so i listined carefully and it was coming from the radio my radio was
making noise as if it was on but it wasnt and my keys werent even in the ignition i dont
really know to much about electrical so i dont know what to do and i dont have money
to take to a shop i do all repairs myself or with my friends who are in school for
mechanics?? please help this is my only way of transporation and im already missing
work now for a week im using my vacation time for this week.

11,995

If you hear noise from the radio with the key off you have an active short. Disconnect the battery NOW.

what do i do after i disconnect the battery? and whats this all mean?

11,995

Why did we have the Exhausts manifold off for a coolant leak ??? Did you have a head gasket leak ??

11,995

The only thing that makes sense is you shorted something down at the starter. Pinched wire or something like that. Take a test lamp and there will be FAT sections of some of the big wires down there. They are fusible links - test both sides to make sure power is passing through them. ( These tests are done with the battery reconnected and a fire extinguisher handy)

no we couldnt figure out where it was coming from but we realized it was rite above the oil pan everything is so tightly packed we couldnt fit our hands in to take the bolt off i dont know what its called that was leakin but it connects to the lower rad hose n some other hose its metal tho

the only thing i coudnt figure out was how is it that its not making noise or anything i wont even get a click from the starter when i turn the keys its like nothing but once in a while my door open noise goes and when my keys were out my radio was making noise

246,725

Definitely electrical as Mike mentioned. It would be very hard to tell you exactly what to look for on a forum like this. Since you have no money to fix or know where to look, your looking at carpooling in the meantime. No quick fix that we can help you with. You have to start probing wires to see what fuse or wire was compromised when you failed to disconnect the battery. Recheck all your work. youtube has some videos that might help in giving you some more knowledge on finding electrical shorts. Save enough money up to have a mechanic find it for you is your other option. Good Luck.