my 1959 2cv does not have an alternator can that be?

Asked by Jun 22, 2016 at 04:59 PM about the 1959 Citroen 2CV

Hi
my 1959 citroen 2 cv does not have an alternator but runs great
when I disconnect the battery the engine stops
is it possible this engine does not have an alternator?

12,385

There were generators in the '50s whats charging the battery? it will become depleted if its only being drawn on and not charged..

Best Answer

Thank you very much for the quick answer, so I am (as, yes, a novice) understand it as follows , the battery, feeds the generator, the generator feeds the sparks plugs and off I go. At the same time the generator charges the battery in return is that correct? So it is a continuance loop and if I take the battery out the car stalls because the loop is broken correct? While with an alternator the car keeps running that is what I do not understand Or should the car WITH a generator also keep on running when I take the battery out while the engine is running So if the battery is drawn

10

The Citroen 2CV had a 6 volt generator well into the late sixties. If you disconnect the battery, and the engine stops (even if you rev it up a bit) that means your charging system is not working. That could be the wiring, the generator, or the voltage regulator. I have tried to attach a wiring diagram for your car. Contact me if you need more help.

Thank you very much, I was able to print the schedule and will try it tonight again with revving the engine before disconnecting the battery, than I will know if I need to "work" the system, wonderful help thank you Jon

10

The generator is behind the engine cooling fan. Take the cooling fan off and you will see it if it is there. The same rotating shaft that spins the cooling fan also spins the generator.