stalling

Asked by Sep 14, 2010 at 06:25 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Beretta

I have a 94 Baretta that will shut down after about 3 hours of highway driving, will restart and run about 2 minutes quarter mile or so, shuts down again, restart immediately, same thing, let it set a few hours and it will run but not good,  kicks back, drops a cylinder or 2 if i step into it,  leave it set over nite, gos fine, had the fuel pump and coils checked (scoped engine) says everythings fine.  help

4,845

I guess it would be worth trying to check the spark plugs and spark plug wires or fuel filter does it shut down after taking your foot off the gas pedal? Is it an automatic transmission, the only reason I ask this is that the TCC in an automatic if it goes bad, maybe having trouble unlocking (acting like a manual like press the brake without press the clutch pedal)

5

if the coil packs are fine, check the module (usually attached to the coil pack underneath it) swapping with a known good one will tell you if that is it. if not, it might be the crank sensor. when they get hot if there is a crack in them it swells and the car shuts off. after it cools it will start and run fine until it swells again.

trying to check the coil packs, but cant find them, old school mechanic, retired for several years and do not understand this computerized stuff, was told the coil pack is below the front exhaust manifold faceing the radiator, been all over there and cant find anything except starter and the airconditioning compressor. feel stupid as I dont even know what this coil pack or the crank sensor looks like and cant find pictures of either on here, ast coils I messed with still had a plug type wire coming out of it. Thank you very much.

new plugs, wires all seem good, automatic transmision

95 chevy berate starts run good for about 5-10 minutes.get warm or hot on gage then run ruff idle then dies . Let cool and it will start up and run fine.I put a engine management & Ignition.Still does same also put new inline fuel filter.It never runs hot just normal.Could use some answers.Thank you