Overheating

Asked by Sep 16, 2015 at 07:20 AM about the 1998 Holden Commodore

Hi,

I drive a VT Commodore and have overheating issues.When I drive for
over five minutes the temperature gauge goes to high and the red light
comes on and sometimes when I turn the car off the fans are still running.  

I've replaced the thermostat,flushed the radiator and new radiator cap and
bleed the valve to eliminate any air bubbles to no avail. There is no water
leaking and no oil leaking from the head. What else could be the problem
to why it is overheating?and how can I rectify it?
Thanks,
Con.

150,095

Have you looked at the water pump as a cause of the overheating problem? It may not be turning and moving the water thru the system...

I haven't actually because I spoke to a mechanic and said if it was the water pump it would be making noises and the drive belt would be slipping. It may well be that I might need to replace the water pump and the drive belt just to be on the safe side..thanks Mark.

Sorry I meant to say thanks to, joemom :-)

150,095

You're welcome..

Hi I have a 2006 ve Holden commodore. The car is over heating and temperature gauge rises after 5mins. I have put in new seals, head bolts, oil and coolant. When I start the car it has a real airy sound and when I turn the car off the fans are still running. Would you have any idea as to what would be wrong please