rear windscreen wiper does not work

Asked by Jun 30, 2011 at 02:25 AM about the 1986 Ford Laser

Recently bought a KC laser as my daughters first car. Discovered that the rear windscreen wiper has a malfunction. Works in downward sweep but has trouble getting started- making a grinding noise and shuddering movement in upward motion. Ihave dismantled the unit and mechanically it looks to be perfectly fine.
Any suggestions please?

motor is bad,worn out gears.

Thanks. I pulled the whole drive mechanism completely apart, cleaned all the grease off and discovered the plastic drive wheel was worn in one spot, along the lower side of the wheel. So I shaved down the plastic mount around the central shaft hoping this would allow the wheel to sit lower, engaging the worm drive in a new place on the plastic drive wheel.I had to use thicker washers under the circlips to hold the wheel in the new position. So far the repair has been successful.

glad you got it working,thing is its a temp fix being its a plastic gear.it will need replaceing soner or later.

Cheers. Hopefully later rather then sooner. Poor design work- its only lasted for 25 years -:). I will have to word my daughter up to not the use the wiper, except when necessary.

I really see no need for a rear wiper,