How to stop oil leak

Asked by Mar 21, 2013 at 04:16 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Blazer

Bought 96 blazer lx.only has
2wheel drive now it is a
4w.but ran good when drove
it was told it did not leak at
all. After drive king it for a
few hours it started leaking
oil in puddles .will replacing
oil pan gasket and can seal
.stop leak. Truck runs good.
And why did they make it
into a 2wheel drive what can
be done

98,145

They probably had a problem with the front axle drive train and it was cheaper to remove the drive shaft than replace the broken parts. -- If you want to make it back into a 4WD, you will need to find out what parts are bad and repair/replace them. Both axles will have to have the same ratio's.

18,555

The most common thing I see is a CV axle fails so instead of replacing it they just take them out and leave the portion of it on that holds the wheel bearings together. At the same time they remove the front driveshaft. Some people think it will boost gas mileage but it isn't noticable.

18,555

Oh, totally forgot about the oil leak. Dont use stop leak additives, if they can clog up an open hole what could they clog inside the engine? Find where its coming from. Oil leaks down, find where it starts. Lots of things can leak oil. To be honest it sounds like you have been had by some cheap-skate

My 98 Jimmy 's been leakin oil since I bought it Sept '15. I took the plastic skid thing off to diagose oil leak. Well, there was.just too much Overwhelming. Shit was.everywhere. fast forward two weeks My gf comes home w it smokin.hot, oil lesion on exhaust..she thinks she blew it up. Turns out to b a broken oil pan Yes broken. A rock must have hit it My finger pushed right through the side just under the gasket , front 91st side of pan. Felt like a rusted thin or even a thin magnesium pan of some sort. Are they pressed? What bout after market oil pans? How r they made? Bottom line ..some oil leaks may not b the gasket...but the pan.itself!!

mine drips down the passenger side of engine and it is hard to locate the source. Comes from someplace above the starter 96 Blazer Vortex Any Help would be great I