how to replace ignition switch

Asked by Jan 17, 2015 at 01:11 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Malibu

HOW DO I REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH IN A 1997 CHEV MALIBU

495

You might not have to. There is a recall for the ignition switch for your vehicle. 1997-2005 Chevrolet Malibu There is a risk, under certain conditions, that your ignition switch may move out of the "run" position, resulting in a partial loss of electrical power and turning off the engine. This risk increases if your key ring is carrying added weight (such as more keys or the key fob) or your vehicle experiences rough road conditions or other jarring or impact related events. If the ignition switch is not in the run position, the air bags may not deploy if the vehicle is involved in a crash, increasing the risk of injury or fatality. If you are driving an affected vehicle, until the ignition recall repairs have been performed, it is very important for you to follow the 3-Point Check Plan. Please visit the GM Recall Center to find out more details about recalls affecting your specific vehicle and to schedule a service appointment with your dealer.

20

ok

30

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO WEIGHT MINE DOWN AND IT HAS DONE IT ONCE BEFORE AND NOW IT'S DONE IT AGAIN AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND NOW MY CAR WON'T START.IT AIN'T CALLED A DAMN KEY FOB IT'S CALLED A CAR KEY YOU IDIOT

Wow that was rude it is called a key fob and then there is a car key anyway there is no recall on the ignition switch on my 2004 Chevy I just checked with GM IjustGMGMljuschec GM

30

JENNIFER IT IS NOT CALLED A KEY FOB IT'S CALLED A CAR KEY.YES THERE IS A RECALL ON IT CAUSE THEY SAID ALL MODEL YEARS YOU DIPSHIT

30

MINE NEVER MOVED OUT OF THE RUN IT JUST WAITED UNTIL I GOT HOME AND IT GOT STUCK IT'S WAS THE GEAR SHIFT IN MINE SO THERE

30

HEY,UGLY JENNIFER IT'S NOT CALLED A DAMN KEY FOB IT'S CALLED A KEY THING AND WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO F OFF SOMEWHERE

10

So is there a recall on ignition switch for 2005 Chevy Malibu?

30

yes there is on all years

STOP THE TALK OF THIS CAR IS A RECALL FOR THE REPAIR OF THE IGNITION SWITCH OF THE MALIBU CAUSE I WENT BY TO FOLLOWUP BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT, THEY SAY MAKE AN APPOINTMENT! SO MAYB FOB IS THE ABBREVIATION OF A MECHANISM???

FOB is remote starter, entry remote key mechanisms! Tu Mary n Jennifer, I can now get my car repaired lol

Tu lutetiav37, never thot to try gearshift lol

I GOT A POST CARD TO REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH IF NEEDED, I WENT BY CHEVROLET, MY CAR CRANK, AND IT IS A CHOICE TO CHANGE IT, ITS A 2005 MALIBU

30

YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT IN SO THE MECHANIC CAN FIX IT FOR FREE CAUSE MY CAR KEY FINALLY GOT STUCK IN THE IGNITION AND MY CAR WOULDN'T START AND IT HAD TO BE TOWED IN SO I SAY TAKE YOURS TO THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY'LL FIX IT FOR FREE AND IT AIN'T A CHOICE TO CHANGE IT

I shift the gear and my car is trying to start, so it sounds like my battery is low! I actually bought new keys from the dealership for coding options, so I will make an appt

I have a 2003 Malibu. Mine is part of the recall. I'm having a problem that my key won't turn. I have to wiggle it for a while to finally get it to turn so I can start the car. I took it to a Chevy dealer because of the recall. They told me they can't help me because I only have a copy key, not an original.

30

well i had a copy of my car key made over at home depot and it got stuck in mine so my car had to be towed in so it could get fixed