1997 Chevy Lumina - Great Condition - What can I expect in age related repairs ??

30

Asked by Apr 29, 2015 at 10:31 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina

Any advice ?

I have a perfect "looking"   1997 Chevy Lumina that my grandmother left me.

It only has 10,000 original miles on it. It looks great, inside and out.

However, it feels like a hard ride (going over bumps, lines, manhole covers etc, feels like you're slamming a bit over them, even driving pretty slowly.  (my 2000 buick lesabre feels like a more comfortable, cushioned ride)  

two questions -
1) any way to make it a more cushioned feeling ride like the lesabre ?
2)
I saw underneath the car and there is some rust on metal things under there, and some rubbery looking thin donut shaped things (ha) between metal bars that go towards the wheels look like they might be getting dry rot, and I'm assuming these are five dollar parts with 100 + labor for each of the four of them to replace ? (don't you love the descriptions)

They are like a cushion to reduce metal to metal friction I believe, don't remember what they are called.  : )

These luminas last for 300,000 miles, but as you can tell, I'm not a mechanic and tend to get very ripped off by not knowing what I'm doing and they see me coming... besides prices just being high for labor, I have also been lied to and cheated several times, so not sure if I should keep the lumina (how much money am I in for in repairs of things that will be showing up as dry rot due to age, and minimal use of the car etc.  

It was in the garage until this year.
i agree with the above about new priced cars - but not sure if I should get rid of a 1997 and get maybe a 2005 Taurus or 2005 lesabre or something instead, before age related problems starts ???

261,765

Kind of a loaded question. But you are right, there will be rubber parts like bushings and hoses that need replacing. I would suggest you have your mechanic go over the car for you and give you a list of things that need immediate attention and then the things that could be replaced as time goes on. Every car needs some maintenance and attention, some more than others. At least parts for a '97 Chevy will be fairly inexpensive. If you like the car and don't mind putting money into it, then keep it. If not, sell it and find one you like.