Engine swap

Asked by Dec 08, 2017 at 02:29 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier with a bad rodknock.
The engine is a 2.2 l and I would like to know if I can
drop the 2.4 l engine in the car . Also I would like to
know what other year engines would fit in my 97

2,960

do a little research......did the '97 have the 2.4 as an option? Is the 2.4 the same basic engine but with a larger bore or stroke, If it is the same engine, just larger displacement they it will probably bolt to the transmission without a problem and everything will hook up without reengineering the wiring and plumbing. Sorry I cannot give you a direct answer but if I were to look up the info.....you can too

not sure about the 1st place to start so i am starting right here i have an 01 cavi that was supposed to have an engine swap and be runing again almost a year and a half ago just reacently got it back and it still dont run has low compression radiator hose is leaking so my question is if i end up having to get a nother engine and make sure this is done right what is the next biger motor i can fit in it this cavi is the base modle

Michael. I’m not sure if you found your answer but no you cannot just drop the Quad in. You need another tranny and as well a whole wiring harness and ECU. So much is different in those engines. If you had the availabilty and know how it’s possible but a lot of work. Joey, you shouldn’t jack someone else’s post but sounds like you should fix the coolant hose prior to testing further. You may also want to bleed your system and make sure it’s not air locked