timing off please help

Asked by Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 1997 cavalier with a 2.2. The timing chain tensioner broke and the car stopped running. I replaced the tensioner and the gears and chain but now the car will not start. There is not any compression in any of the cylinders. It also is acting like it is out of time. I aligned the gears to the marks on the tensioner like you are suppose to. The motor and valves all turn over like they are suppose to. if any one has any idaes please let me know.     

125

U NEED 2 FIND OUT Y YOU HAVE NO COMPRESSION FIRST. CHECK FOR CYLINDER LEAKAGE AND C WAT YOU HAVE THERE. I THINK 20% IS OK. THEN IF IT STARTS YOU NEED TO DO WHAT GM CALLS A CRANKSHAFT POSITION VARIATION RELEARN WHICH ADJUSTS THE TIMING BUT THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN DO THAT IS WITH THE GM TECH 2 SCANNER SO YOU SHOULD REALLY BRING IT IN 2 A GM DEALER.