Cambelt

25

Asked by Jan 30, 2008 at 03:37 PM about the 1996 Citroen AX

I have a citroen AX 1996 1.0 liter. The odometer shows 165,000km. My concern if the cambelt is replaced because the service history that drive belt is replaced. is drive belt & cambelt is same? please advise. Thank you

43,875

Normally here in the US, a drivebelt is considered to be any of the external serpentine belts on the vehicle that run various functions or accessories like air conditioning, alternator, power steering, etc. A cambelt would be called a timing belt and is internal to the engine. If someone told me they had replaced the drive belts on a vehicle I was buying, I would assume the timing belt was not replaced. I would guess by your question that they did not replace the cambelt as that would be a larger job that would also typically be highlighted in the service history as it is an important repair to the buyer of a vehicle.