HOOD SPACE GAP

Asked by Sep 04, 2013 at 04:18 PM about the 1970 Plymouth Superbird

THE SUPERBIRD I RECENTLY PURCHASED HAS A WIDE RUBBER SEAL BETWEEN THE FENDER AND NOSE PIECE WHICK CREATES ABOUT A 1" INCH GAP BETWEN THE HOOD AND THE NOSE PIECE.  I WAS TOLD THIS IS THE CORRECT DESIGN HOWEVER PICTURES ON INTERNET DONT APPEAR TO SHOW THAT WIDE OF GAP. ANY IDEA?

965

The Super bird

965

Sorry ,I did something wrong. At any rate, the Superbird was a car made so they could race them. The had to build 200 to qualify. The nose was literally stuck on and the fit and finish wasn't a huge deal as long as the thing stayed on. The quality control on the project cars were very slap dash, so you might end up with a good fitting one, or a pep boy Edition. Remember, the nose was very much jury rigged. Gaps will be a crap shoot with this car . However,providing the card is in good condition, they are worth a ton of money.

45

Greetings, The fender to nose cone seal can be installed 4 ways. Three of them are wrong. Even when installed correctly, it takes some work to get the seal to stay in place and get the nose cone tight. If installed incorrectly, the gap between the hood and nose cone will be wider than factory. Note: the hoods did not fit well as a rule. Often they were a bit high in the center. http://www.performancecargraphics.com/ is a very good source of information on winged cars. Another source of information is Ken Presley. He restores Superbirds and has found ways to get the seals to fit. Brennan R. Cook brcook.com

Best Answer

Thanks! I appreciate your input. I believe that the rubber seals were incorrectly installed causing the extra wide gap between the hood and nose. Will have to see if they can be changed. Thanks again!