Dead clutch pedal

80

Asked by Nov 04, 2015 at 09:30 PM about the 1997 Ford Fiesta

Hi guys. My 97 fiesta lost clutch resistance and at the same time cannot select
gears at all while engine is running. The clutch and pressure plate is quite new
and the clutch and brake reservoir is full.  For some time now the release
bearing gave a Lil rattling sound while clutch is not depressed. What should i
be checking? Please help, and tx in advance

72,375

Sound like the slave cylinder has gone bad, this operates the pressure plate to disengage the clutch.

I agree. The slave cylinder pushes the throwout bearing

80

Awesome. Will i find the slave on the pedal or release bearing or somewhere else perhaps?

This is Ford Fiesta. click image to size up

80

That image confuses me slightly sorry. Is that the release bearing in looking at?

Yes. It is. The hydraulic slave cylinder pushes on pressure plate

Best Answer
80

Tx Fordnut. Great to have somewhere to get advice. Helps allot

But you need to understand that the actual hydraulic slave cylinder is outside the bell-housing that pushes this to disengage clutch

80

Ok cool. So that's what i need to find. I guess that would be somewhere connected to the metal tube that attaches at the point I've marked on my attached pic? Sorry struggling to find the words to explain myself

I mis-worded my answer. When I said the slave cylinder pushes on pressure plate is not accurate. The slave cylinder pushes the arm on a fulcrum to push the throwout bearing on pressure plate. But YES, that is what is probably the problem, what you put the square on is where the slave cylinder attaches No need to apologize. Sometimes trying to do this stuff from coast-to-coast from a a keyboard gets difficult... on both ends For all I know you are 2 blocks away or 3000 miles. I am in Central Calif

80

I'm southern tip of the southern most tip of South Africa Cape Town lol

80

I got the idea eventually lol. Tx man helps allot as i have the aptitude for mechanics but didn't do any schooling in it

72,375

Right on there Ford Nut! I was trying to explain something on that order of distance, and how different people are from where they live sometimes it is easy to have miss communication. By the way, I am up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Mackinaw City? Cheboygan? Good Hart? I have no clue ..... never been there just looked at Google Earth

72,375

I am just over 3 hrs. west from Mackinaw City, and about 3 hrs. north from Cheboygan. Escanaba Mich. is where I sit...Just about the top of Lake Michigan...

80

I'd love to see america one day but you have to be quite well off as a south African to see your country. But maybe that dream will come true, who knows

Anwar_cpt_sa I don't have a clue about the economy in South Africa but I sincerely hope you can come visit us. There are sights and scenery to behold like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone... and so much more.....and most people are friendly...

80

About 1-15 i think at the moment. Meaning for you to come this way is a much better/viable option