Why is the 98 cavalier motor year specific

Asked by Jun 28, 2013 at 04:51 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Andy, not sure what you are asking, but the 1998 Caviler may have any of these: 2.2 L 122hp or I4 2.2 L Ecotec (L61).... I4 2.3 L Quad 4 (LD2) I4 2.4, or L Twin Cam (LD9) I4

its the 2200 the dealer told me its a year specific motor on t heir computers but couldn't tell me way

That I couldn't tell you, don't know why they would say that. Some of those guys don't know anything except what the computer tells them, the 2200 is the 2.2 but the 1998 Caviler were built with any of those engines I listed. When they say 'year specific' I don't even know what that means, unless they are trying to tell you the Caviler had only one engine option in '98. Which is just not true. What's going on? May I ask if you are looking for a part or something?

Best Answer Mark helpful

Looking for a used motor

AH...okay...now we're getting somewhere. So the answer is any of those I listed will drop in without having to mess with motor mounts and bell housing bolt pattern problems.

The problem is you asked a dealer. Their information is limited.

ok thanks

one more question so but do u know if 2008 Pontiac g5 eco Tec 2.2 motor and tranny would bolt up to the motor mounts

Let me see. I will get back to you in a few.

Yep. They will. Same bellhousing pattern, but that does not matter if you are swapping both together, same mounts in same place, You will be fine.....with THAT part. BUT the difference between the 1998 and 2008 is the ECM, make sure that if you buy an engine from a '08 it comes complete, all electronics

rite on thanks

Dont listen to DavidH25 hes making it up as he goes. Almost everything he has said is not true. In 1998 there was two motors available the 2.4 twincam and the 2.2 ohv. 2.2 ecotec was not available untill 2002 and the 2.3l quad4 was obly available in 1995. As for the ecotec swap... trnny transaxle motor mounts wiring harness computer and dash all have to be swapped out just to put an 02 cavalier ecotec in. Im not even going to get into an 08 pontiac swap lol. This guy literally just made everything he told you up without doing any research or anything lol. People who know they dont know what they are talking about should not be giving advice on car repairs. Guy even says "let me see ill get back to you in a few" and pretends hes lookin sonething up and comes back with 100% fabricated information. Very immature and totally pathetic. Davidh25 if you cant even change your own oil then what would make you think you should give soneone advice on how to swao a motor? You think its funny to tell someone that if they spend 1500 dollars on an engine from another car it will fit? Even though anyone that knows howto use google or owns a haynes manual kniws it wont

If dacid had even the slightest bit of knowledge on your car he would have told you that the reason that your 98 is year specific is because it has a digital odometer and an egr valve. 1997 did not have a digital odometer and in 1999 they removed the egr valve and made a few minor changes.

All lies I have two 1998 cavalier's and neither one has digital odometers both have her valves.