Whats going on with my ABS?

Asked by Sep 26, 2012 at 09:23 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

Ok, so I have a 1998 chevy cavalier and lately its been acting weird. It starts rough and runs funny sometimes, and
the ABS light is on. Sometimes when I press on the brakes, it makes a horrible sound and the car wont stop
unless I pump the brakes. I took it in and had the codes read on the engine and it said that one of the computer
things was going out and the mechanic said it was no big deal. What should I do? Who Should I see? How much
will it cost me?

265

well ur mech should be outta a job. abs in basic reads a sproket that is on the cv shaft. when the sproket stops spinning during braking the sensor reading it says to let off the brake and starting pumping. which starts pumping at a faster rate the what a person could. it could be as basic as mud stuck in the sprocket or yes the computer goin out.

675

sounds like you have a bad speed sensor.. which is part of the wheel bearing.. if you disconnect the speed sensor your abs wont work BUT your brakes will work fine.. only no anti lock so you slam on the brakes and screech to a halt

40

So I got a 2000 cavalier and when I go to stop quick they push back at me but u ABS light is not on Can anyone help me