vacuum leak on 1998 /camaro

10

Asked by Jan 27, 2011 at 02:30 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Chk engine light came on - dealer indicated it was a vacuum leak and traced it back to the gas tank - said the tank need to be replaced bacuase they couldn't pinpoint the location of the leak.  Car is running fine, just the light.  Any suggestions?  Because now he is telling me he is having trouble getting a tank because they don't make that model any more.  Do I really need a new tank?

12,375

Probably not - Code please

295

WHAT YOU HAVE IS A LEAK IN THE EVAP SYSTEM CAUSING A FAULT CODE . THIS IS THE SYSTEM THAT RECOVERS FUEL VAPORS FROM THE TANK AND BURNS THEM THRU THE ENGINE INSTEAD OF LETTING THEM OUT TO THE ATMOSPHEAR . IT OLNY TAKES A SMALL PINHOLE IN ANY OF THE VACUME LINES TO THE TANK OR EVEN A FAULTY FUEL CAP TO CAUSE THIS . FIND THE CAUSE CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT . THE QUESTION IS HOW DID YOUR TECH DETERMIN IT WAS THE TANK IT SELF ?? AND CAN THE TANK BE REPAIR IF IT IS ?

10

Well now he tells me that he can't replace the tank because they don't make it anymore and he can't find one in the after market. Anyway, he said it was traceable to the tank by the tech and he agrees that it could be a small hole, however, if they drop the tank ($500) AND could find the leak, they don't do repairs because it is too dangerous. He suggested I live with the check engine light because it shouldn't effect how the car runs. Since this is a dealer, would it make more sense to check with an independent mechanic, or is that setting me up for a bigger problem?

295

IF IT WERE ME I WOULD CHECK THE LOCAL WRECKING YARDS AND GET A PRICE ON A GOOD USED TANK WITH A WARRENTY AND PRICE OUT THE REMOVE AND REPLACE PRICE AT A INDEPENDANT OR LOCAL AUTO SHOP . NOT SURE WHAT STATE YOUR IN BUT HERE IN CALIFORNIA IF THE EVAP SYSTEM HAS A LEAK THE CAR WILL NOT PASS SMOG AND BECOMES UNREGERSTABLE . ALSO CHECK ONLINE FOR PARTS FOR YOUR CAR . I WOULD THINK FOR A CAMARO THERE WOULD BE LOADS OF PARTS HELP .

355

never live with the check engine light if you don't have to. i know it sucks, but if you don't fix it and something else goes out, you're not going to know until it's too late. it's not like there's an option for the check engine light to tell you that there's 2 problems without running the codes. check the junkyards. thousands of these cars have been wrecked. parts are everywhere. anyone know if the firebird and camaro used the same gas tank? they're the same damned car (almost), but being able to check firebirds too will almost double his options here.

12,375

OP and posters - Diagnosing and repairing the EVAP system is easy and the computer system HELPS diagnose it What is the CODE that is coming up ... small leak, large leak, solinoid codes,generic leak code. My rule of thumb is try a gas cap first. I didn't read that that was done. Cheap and if it fixes it good. Next is to "smoke" the system with flourescent smoke, which will find your leak if any afterwards. Some dealers do not have this system. If your state has an emissions test for a inspection sticker go the the registry of motor vehicles web site - they will have a list of people that can properly repair your car. I have NEVER replaced a gas tank for an EVAP problem - Fuel pump/sending unit 'O' rings yes - tanks NO.My thinking is its probably the vent valve or tank gasket. I resent the fact that you stated that independants are any less capable than a dealer! I even reprogram vehicle computers. www.bobsmotorworkshop.com Good luck