Clio 1.2 Grande Y plate. Handbrake travel increased for no apparent reason. Soon after it returned to normal travel after grinding and banging noises from rear. What could have happened, is car safe?

5

Asked by Feb 11, 2012 at 05:22 PM about the 1991 Renault Clio

1,205

the rear brake self regulator might have gone. I'd take the dums off and check for alligment and proper function. The self regulator should move both sides of the brake shoes when handbrake is applied. I wouldn't drive it till you ckeck it out.

2,655

I would agree with the answer above , however the component that has failed is the self adjuster, this has come about because the self adjuster hasn't self adjusted, a common fault, and if not properly manually adjusted it allows excessive movement of the brake shoes when used. The grinding noise is probably the tag that is like a locking device on a ratchet that allows movement in one direction only, this has a habit of falling out. Alternatively the brake shoe locating pins could have parted company with thier locking springs. Or even the brake shoe lining may have parted company with the metal carcas, again a common fault. In any case I would suggest you have the car relayed to your local garage, or if you are feeling brave drive it carefully there yourself. Before you do check that you have a brake pedal that holds pressure if it doesn't don't drive it.