Brake peddle goes to the floor on a 1965 Ply. Fury 3

Asked by Mar 23, 2014 at 03:40 PM about the 1965 Plymouth Fury

Got one reply & I thank you for the info.. I installed a new Napa Master and then we started to bleed at the farthest wheel cyl. first . It took a while to get the feeling at the brake peddle ( goes slowly down as you bleed ) but it started to get the pressure back .

When we first started to bleed the peddle would go directly to the floor ( no resistance ) & I could not get it to pump up and hold as we would bleed at the  wheels . Once we did get a solid pressure it seemed O.K. but after sitting a short time , I got the same TO THE FLOOR peddle problem . I made sure the  Master Cyl. was topped off with fluid as we got air from the wheel ..

I was thinking the Power Brake Booster may cause the problem .

I can start the bleeding process over again & see what happens & hope for good news ..

How can I tell if the Booster is bad or needs to be replaced ??

I need to move the car soon but need the brakes to work first . It has been a driver but sit for a while as I had Carb. rebuilt and then I installed it .

I appreciate your advice .

Hi Jim, did you bench bleed the new master cylinder first? You should have. Are you bleeding the system with the engine off? You should be. Start at the right rear. Open the bleeder screw and have a helper press the brake pedal. Once the pedal is on the floor have your helper hold the pedal there and you close the bleeder screw. Have your helper release the pedal, you open the bleeder screw and repeat 5 times. Do the same at the left rear, right front then left front in that order. Do NOT pump the tar out of the pedal. Simply do it as described and when you're done you should have a nice firm pedal. To properly adjust the shoes safely jack up the car and spin the wheel in reverse. Advance the adjuster screw until a heavy drag is felt at the wheel. Now back off the adjuster screw until the wheel just spins freely. Repeat at the other 3 wheels. HTH. -Jim

I went through the whole brake bleeding pattern again , it took a while & a lot of pumping but we finally got the old fluid pumped out of the system and the brakes now work great . Thanks to you all . Jim Now trying to find out if there is a fuel filter some where along the Frame ? I have heard that there may be one as I am having fuel problems from the pump to the Carb. The pump is almost new so I hope it is just a filter problem ?? With age & health issues it is hard for me to get down & UNDER . Appreciate any advice about filters ? Thanks again .