NEED HELP - weird tail light/brake light/blinker light/hazzard light problem

Asked by Jul 10, 2011 at 08:19 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

I have a '99 Tahoe with a bizarre blinker/brake/tail light issue.

From the beginning:
Fast flash on the right blinker: replaced all bulbs on right rear side - no results. Replaced light assembly on right side & blinker bulb (only) on left side.

Worked perfectly for 3 blocks & problem began again only worse. Turn on the right blinker and the left blinker flashed. Turn on the left blinker and the right side flashed as well as the left side of the license plate. Turn on the head lights and all rear functioning lights become alarmingly dim.

hit the breaks and the turn signal and rear hazard lights come on.

I had recently used my trailer light connector. Years ago it was problematic so I removed it, taped off the ends & double checked grounds.

Next: Replaced the flasher relay. All rear lights appeared to work as designed except fading ~badly~ when head lights were engaged. Tryied again and all worked perfectly and continued to work perfectly for about a month.

Then, while driving at night, I braked & signaled...got a fast flash again. Only this time - I have no tail lights, brake lights or reverse lights but blinkers (dimly) work.

Replaced flasher relay again...I now have brake lights but the flashers are wacked out again and if I turn on the headlights everything goes haywire again.

replaced the mulit function switch.  It lasted about 30 days and all problems started again, PLUS the horn stopped working.

tested all wiring to and from lighting assemblies- all good.

removed entire trailer light assempbly and all power up to that point is correct.

Have never blown a fuse

replaced the head light switch (with a used one) and all problems were the same except when pressing the brake the reverse lights came on.

Put the old one back in and back to all the other problems (sans reverse lights).

In between getting the multi function switch replaced and the problem reoccuring, battery had to be replaced and at the same time new tips were put on the cables.  

Me, and two mechanics are at a complete loss.

Any ideas?

90

I have essentially the same problem with a 2006 Tahoe. It has only been a day and I haven't replaced all the parts you have but the symptoms are idential. Did you ever figure it out?

20

Here's my similar scenario....If left blinker is on and I press the brakes the blinker slows and the brake lights are off, right blinker and brakes speeds up blinker timing and brakes are off. Daytime running lights on when brake pushed but brake lights off. when brake not engaged, brake lights are on. Cruise control engaged and will disengage when turn signal initiated. When vehicle in park and brake pedal pressed, hazards come on. When brake pedal pressed, side mirror blinker lights would come on. Found a shorted out bulb on the rear brake light and replaced it. Now I have the problem of turning on the blinker, which it will blink with the correct timing, but when the brake pedal is pressed, the blinker quits blinking and I get a squealing noise. I can hold the brake continuously and it will switch off and on between blinking and squealing. If you every figure out your problem, I would LOVE to know the answer.