150 mph speedometer and tach, cuda or barracuda?

Dalton Jones

Asked by Jan 19, 2014 at 01:55 PM about the 1973 Plymouth Barracuda

I had a new 1973 cuda in 73. Had 5 miles on it when I got it. It came with a tachometer and a speedometer. I keep seeing cudas without the tach  or the 150 speedometer. Are these just reworked barracudas people are trying to pass off as cudas?

Peter Nichols

what you saw was the rally dash whether it was a 'cuda or not. Most all Barracuda's had a 120 speedo and no tach ..most Cuda's had the rally dash as standard equipment BUT you could have it deleted if you checked the right boxes when ordering the car ... it really depends on the vehicle package codes or individual option sheet .. most combo's were possible with the right salesman at the larger dealerships

Peter Nichols

to answer directly , yes they could be clones all ya gotta do is check the vin # in the windshield ... 'Cudas were Barracuda Specials and had a beginning VIN # BS 23 whereas Barracudas were started their VIN # B 23 there were exceptions , those made in Canada and those for special export to other countries had different letters like an X or something on the vin tag

Peter Nichols

oh yea this only applies to the E-body 'cuda & barracuda

Dalton Jones

I keep seeing people selling 73 cuda's with speedometers that only go to 120 and don't have the tachometer. I think something is not right

Cudas were not standard with rally gauges, Challenger R/Ts were. It isn't uncommon to see AAR cudas with 120 speedo and no tach. T/A were not standard with rally gauges either. The code on the data plate should have a N85 if it came with a tach.

I also bought a new 1970 "AAR that had a 120mph speedo with no tach! Moparx2