Has anyone had a total brake failure on the 2008 G35?

Asked by Mar 12, 2013 at 03:16 PM about the 2008 INFINITI G35

We own a 2008 Infinity G35 sedan and the brakes have failed three times.  First was when my mother
was driving in a garage, she was trying to turn right, at very slow speed (10 mph?), the brakes didn't
work and she hit a pole, resulting in minor damage.  I drove the car about a year later in a parking lot,
I tried to turn right at very slow speed (10 mph?), but when I hit the brakes the car jerked and then
continued straight.  Luckily the car hit a curb so no damage. Finally my brother drove the car last
month on a country road (~20-25 mph), tried to turn right, hit the brakes which didn't engage.  He
pumped the brakes several times but nothing happened, the car hit a tree resulting in major damage
to the car.  (A friend who was driving behind my brother said he thought it was the drive train but
who knows.)  Our local Infiniti dealer said we should contact the Nissan corporate office directly.  
They sent out an "expert" investigator who looked at the car and said nothing was wrong.  They
won't give us a copy of the report because it is "internal" so we don't know what tests the inspector
performed.  There doesn't appear to be any sort of recall for this problem.  Has this happened to
anyone else?

I know of no one that this has happened to but that is moot. You are talking life and death on this....that car can be replaced if wrecked, you, Jocelyn, can not be. Take it to an Infiniti Dealer, warranty or no warranty, and DEMAND it be inspected, problem identified, and fixed and fixed to your satisfaction, and do not accept the car back until then.

Just got to thinking..I know that is real easy for me to say. To do without you car. But maybe another dealer? You are getting the proverbial $%%^$%#! and Corporate Infiniti needs to have their cage rattled. Maybe call you local TV station and ask if they will air your story? That sort of thing has worked where I live. EXPOSURE of BAD BRAKES is the LAST thing Nissan wants or needs. Good Luck

101,525

I would check with other owners at various Infiniti forums. The owners would tell you about problems more readily than the dealer. www.infinitiforum.net --- http://g35driver.com/forums/ --- www.g35club.org/ ---

Good idea. The dealer will never admit to doing anything wrong, even though they get paid by the manufacturer for recall/warranty work. Nissan will do anything and everything to cover this up, dare I say even at the cost of a human life, the almighty dollar being the driving force. No pun intended. But back to TS's suggestion, other Infiniti owners, there are some here but not all that many , and this forum is of course not exclusively Nissan/Infiniti. But there are some forums that are. And what's up with them not giving you a report? Especially if there was 'nothing wrong'? That is a rhetorical question Joycelyn, do your best to get to "The TOP" at Corporate. Ask for a supervisor, demand a supervisor in fact. Do not be intimated.

From Edmunds: pasted: In the G35's case, replacing all pads with Akebono ceramics and all rotors with Brembo plain ones (not cross drilled or slotted) cured the warp problems. Plain rotors are stronger and easier on the pads. Unless you plan to do track days or go racing, cross-drilling and slotting is a waste.

An Infiniti forum, pasted: car image #12 - Service Brakes problem of the 2008 Infiniti G35 Crash happened when the problem occurred. I was driving my 2008 Infiniti G35 through a heavy rainstorm at 11:30 am, going east on glade rd. , boca raton, FL. , in the middle lane at approximately 35 mph, when a car in the left lane of this three lane rd. , cut me off. I hit the brakes hard and my brakes completely locked up, putting me into a skid onto the right swale and my car, skidding violently, smashed into a tree. Although the car hit the tree almost head-on, only the left front side air bag went off. The steering wheel bag never went off. I was wearing my seat belt, and the my chest was smashed against the air bag straps and left me with severe welts and terrible pain for over two months. My right tibia and fibula were broken and displaced. Two surgeries and three months in a cast and bed-ridden, I am finally doing much better. I notified Nissan that the front air-bag and the anti-lock braking system never activated. They did a cursory investigation and said nothing went wrong. I know that's not true. I never once felt any pulsing from the brakes after my application, and the non-working steering wheel air bag speaks for itself. This service brakes problem happened on Monday, February 1, 2010. car image #13 - Service Brakes problem of the 2008 Infiniti G35 2008 Infiniti G35 sedan, bought new from dealer July 2008, had warped brake rotors about a year ago, took to dealer, they replaced a part that had a recall or had a warranty on, that they said had more air spaces in it to allow the metal to cool better, and ground down the rotors. I have warped rotors again at only 46,000 miles. I believe the metal in the stock rotors is faulty or bad engineering design. Please inspect. I should not have warped rotors for a second time at only 46,000 miles and I use my transmission a lot to slow down rather than the brakes after the first warping occurred. I see another complaint on this site by a different owner of the same make and model car with the same complaint of warped rotors at low mileage. This problem occurred on Apr. 10, 2011.

i had the same problem lastnight with g35 coupe 2006.. totally brake failure .. lucky enough there was no car infront of me at the light....

I am here bc I just had total brake failure in my new to me 2008 Infiniti GX56! I have been reading up on it and it looks as though this has happened to hundreds of thousands of Infiniti and Nissan owners!! Some accidents have resulted in death! Did the dealer or corporate ever provide for repair of your vehicle?