what dou think about a 2008 toyota prius ?!

Asked by Jun 23, 2009 at 04:52 PM about the 2008 Toyota Prius

5

Prius is a well made vehilce (toyota) is top quality. Gas mileage is great but not amazing for a hybrid...some civics or other small toyotas have same mpg. Also prius' are very very heavy vehicles due to the hybrid batteries. Tires do not tend to last more than 20k miles. very expesive to repair and also expensive to replace tires every few years.

145

I own a 2008 Prius. Very pleased with it so far. It has over 170k miles on it. Original hybrid battery and auxiliary battery. We are on the 3rd set of tires (Michelins). No major repairs to date. To replace the hybrid battery is about $800.00 plus labor. I average about 47 MPG doing mixed highway and city driving.

Glad to see the answer above , I have a 2008 Prius and LOVE it, but it's about to roll 100K miles and I start to get worried about longevity. There is not one thing wrong with my car and I have not had to replace batteries yet either. I still get 47 MPG average in Phoenix heat!!

14,085

You know they say hind sight is 20-20 and in the case of the Toyota Prius this is very correct. We have a 2009, and except for a right front wheel bearing that was covered under my extended warranty, the car has been amazing. And, recently, I've talked with a couple of cab drivers who use these cars and discovered that in many cases they've gone more than 200,000 in 5 years with very little problems, and no major engine or transmission failures. One person replaced a battery for only $1,000 . Some reported a little oil consumption after 175,000 miles. So, yes, it's a great car and does get 44 to 46 miles per gallon. Depends on how you drive it, how hot it is, A/C usage etc. One thing that is significant and kind of sad is this. 2009 was the last year of the fuel blivet, that's the flexible bladder gas tank in the original Prius cars. In 2010, Toyota made the decision to replace this with a metal tank claiming that they had complaints from customers in cold climates about refueling the blivet. Nonsense, do you know how cold it gets in Japan? It snows there and gets pretty cold. The huge advantage of the blivet, they use them on airplanes by the way, is that they are like a baby bottle and expand and contract when depleted, so, there's no air pocket making it safer in the event of a rear end collision. So, even if you have only a quarter of a tank of fuel, the risk of an explosion is greatly reduced. Compare that to a regular gas tank and that pocket of air is much more volatile. It's not the gas you need to worry about it's the air pocket that's dangerous. So, Toyota probably made the cost cutting decision to change that , that's too bad. Of course, this would be nice on other cars, but, the Prius being a smaller car needs all the safety features it can get and I'm grateful to have the 2009. We've taken it across country twice and while it's not as smooth or comfortable as my Subaru Outback, it's a very comfortable riding car for its size. You cannot beat the fuel mileage in this car and it does remarkably well on my highway, don't believe what you have read that it's only good in town. This is not true. And, finally, it's a much better car in every way from the Honda hybrid cars. The Prius was not just some modified gas car with a added on electric motor, it was engineered from the ground up and first released in Japan in 1998. Came to the US in 2001, and has taken off like a rocket from there. Do a Google search and look at its history. In fact, the person in Japan that designed the car almost lost his job and the car almost didn't get built. Thankfully that didn't happen. His determination got the car produced despite cost overruns and higher ups wanting to kill the car. Now, the rest is history. I love Honda, had several of them, but, I also tested the first Insight and second Insight both were lacking. They used something they called "integrated motor assist ", they were not full hybrid cars. Don't go there.