99 Chevy Lumina won't stay running unless you keep your foot on the gas.

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 03:45 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Lumina

99 Chevy Lumina won't stay running unless you keep your foot on the gas. We have tried pretty much everything to try to fix it. We got the car and it was fine for around one week and then it wouldn't start at all until now it does what I told you up there. We replaced the throttle position sensor for it to run now how it only does.

Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced fuel pump.
Replaced the crank shaft sensor.
Put on new coil.
Cut off a little bit of the Cadillac converter.
Replaced the throttle position sensor.

..those should be in order that my husband done them in.

Ps, on trim I don't know..it's a four door? though.

19,110

I see you replaced the throttle body position sensor but did you clean the throttle body. Also add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank and check air filter.

Thank-you; I really appreciate that, and your time.

Also: Cleaned the maf(mass airflow sensor). Cleaned the iac(idle air control).

19,110

Do not know if your vehicle has this fuse or not but check the fuse box under the hood for ( ETCS ) fuse. Electronic Throttle Control System fuse.

Checked fuses. Checked air filter. Replaced iac.

19,110

Is the check engine light on ? Also try removing positive terminal on battery for about 10 seconds then put back on see if that will reset the computer and if that does not work may have to look into the ECM / PCM.

Yes, if I'm not mistaken, the check engine light had been on the whole time we've had the car, and the lady said it stayed on but that she didn't know why. The people or lady that we got the car from kept up with it(the car) for the most part, she said. After my husband replaced the iac it ran better but still won't stay running. Thinking about replacing the higher priced..not sure what he said it was now, maybe most likely that maf. Also, there isn't any vacuum leak. I think we're on the right path. After my husband replaced the throttle position sensor the car worked better, then after replacing the iac it worked even better but just still won't stay running. We had it for around a week and all was fine and then it stopped running and we did so forth that I've said through-out this page here. What would you do next, know what all I've said, after the two replacements?

19,110

Did you have the check engine light codes read and it said to fix all of the things that you replaced so far ? You know you can take it to a parts store and have the code or codes read for free like at auto zone. Sounds like you may have some dirty fuel injectors.

Alright, thanks for all the information. We haven't taken the car anywhere, it won't get there lol. We're still workin on tryin to figure out what's wrong:/.

We're doing the fuel injector cleaner here shortly.

Added fuel injector cleaner. Yeah that didn't work, and a Lilly side note: the car sounds like it was trying to die while pushing on the gas. Oh and a 'voltage' light came on, what is that?

19,110

Alternator is not charging.

Oh yeah, my husband did mention about rather or not to replace the alternator on that car:/. I wonder if that Would actually work or not though. Nothing completely has so far, eck. lol.

Make sure any part you buy that is a major part that you get a lifetime warranty. Saves on money as long as you own the car. Im having same problem. I have lifetime on my alternator and starter and tps. Replaced alternator today and paid nothing and alternator 3 years old.

Next im gonna try removing one side of catalic converter. If car stays running then it mean thats its clogged. And need to be replaced or look into a conversion pipe so you can remove catilac converter. Check state for emissions law. West palm you dont have emissions law here so i can remove mine if needed

I have a 1998 chevy Lumina. I'm having an issue with it where it will turn over but won't start sometimes unless I tap the gas. What could it be?? Once I get it running it will stay running but is very shaky..