Problems with Ford Focus transmission solenoid.

Asked by Nov 03, 2012 at 01:11 PM about the 2008 Ford Focus

I don't know anything about cars, but I have a 2008 Ford Focus that my husband and I bought in
September 2011. It's the worst car I've ever had, and it's a complete nightmare to own, because in
the little time we've had it, it's been in the shop 7-8 times for the same thing. . .the transmission
solenoid. The dealership replaces it, we get the car back, it breaks again, we take it back, they
replace it again, it breaks again, etc. Since it's under warranty, the dealership says it has to call Ford
Headquarters to see what they'll do with it?? Each time it turns out they replace the part and not the
transmission, though the transmission was rebuilt or partly rebuilt the first time it went into the shop?
Now there's about 2,000 miles left on the warranty, or it expires next August anyway, but my
husband's and my patience doesn't seem to have that much time left. Is there a way to fix the
problem, permanently? Right now we're looking into just buying another car and refuse to ever buy a
Ford again, and it's a shame because we liked the car otherwise. The main symptom my car shows, is
the transmission light comes on, and/or there's a hard jerk every now and then, especially when
changing shifts (into reverse, or into drive from reverse after backing out of my driveway or a parking
lot). The first time my car had these problems was the worst. The engine sounded like it was revving,
but the car slowed down while driving. While driving that time, the car would jerk often and pretty
hard, even while driving a steady speed of 45-50mph. At that time it was happening so often (every
few minutes) that I had to pull over because it felt dangerous. . .and that problem happened suddenly.
My car hasn't since been THAT severe, but I still get the jerks at times and the transmission light
comes on. My husband and I are suspicious that Ford is only putting a bandaid on the problem until
the warranty runs out, and then slap us with the big bill of a new transmission that we'd have to
cover.

238,105

My suggestion is to have a local competent automatic transmission mechanic look it over for you. Get some references, as I don't like the big chain transmission shops. Have them give you a free estimate as to what would really fix your car. Once you know, you can determine if you want him to fix it for you and bill Ford or have Ford complete the repair. I find it odd, that the soleniod has been replaced multiple times That tells me it isn;t the problem. "Most problems have a solutions, it's just finding the right person with the answer."

150

did you ever find the solution to this? i'm going through the exact same thing with my 2008 focus

220

Yes the glow plugs seized and I had to have a full engine rebuild by fords it cost me £2000 your best bet is sell your focus and never buy a ford again

200

ford focus intermediate/overdrive band don't shift in to 2/4 gear hard shifting chk that first

200

intermediate/overdrive band broke!!!!

90

They might be fixing the wrong solenoid. This happened to me and I replaced solenoid A because my computer said it was stuck but it was actually C which was causing A to malfunction.

220

My ford focus jerks really bad while driving and my transmission comes on and off now an again, any ideas wots the problem and how much it's gunna cost

The problem may be wrong design transmission. I see they repair no 4th gear by change internal transmission part some pieces from old version. But in this case for erratic shift may be electrical fault. It may be some sensor is bad, some wires not properly ground, the computer module or TCM is bad. This is not easy fix, there are many variable to analyze. First we must identify what is the problem...electrical or mechanical...I believe it may take more time to find out.