Starting problems

Asked by Feb 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM about the 1988 Honda Civic CRX

I thinking about buying a 1988 Honda CRX but there's one problem when u start it it starts fine but when u
you cut the car off and go to cut it back on u have to wait a few hours before the car turns back over... The
car just got an engine swap and I have been told it's not the fuel pump or the spark pluggs... Do u have any
idea what could be wroung? Should I not buy the car? Any answer to one of these questions would be greatly
appreiated :) thanks... Sorry I can't spell well lol

15

Sounds like your main fuel relay. It's a common problem among 2nd gen crx's for the solders on the relay's circuit board to crack, creating an unreliable circuit. If you're a hobbyist with a soldering gun you should be able to either re-melt the solder or remove and add new solder. Otherwise, you can pull a relay out of pretty much any honda from 88-91 (I have a '91 prelude relay, and a '91 civic hatch relay for my 88 crx), and it will work just fine. Hope this helps

45

I go with Garret.I've had over 10 CRX's and they have that problem.They have a relay under the steering wheel,that doesn't send the initial signal for the fuel pump to activate and then keep running.If you want you could try getting an electric signal for example from the batery directly to the fuel pump cable.Jump it and see if that's the problem,then you just can take current from any fuse like the wipers,that work with the ignition on.Then go and buy the relay when your 100% sure that's the problem.Hope this info can help.Good luck!!!

I guess to be in a Lil more detail the car has like a B-14 or B-11 janpan engine recently put in it (sorry don't know much about carsso I don't it that's the true name) but it's fully stock other than that. Can u think of any major issues it could be? I need this car to be an everyday driver and then rocket in the future.. This investment means alot to me thanks for you time in advance...

15

I don't know about a b11 or b14... the most common CRX swap is usually a B16. If you're unsure of what engine is in your CRX, look for the code on the front of the block (Picture sorta related, the stamp is below that yellow circle. you may have to clean off some grease/buildup). If your crx is base (DX), or an HF, then it could be a wiring issue. But I stand by my previous post, most likely it's the main relay

10

I had this problem years ago and a new relay fixed it. Just recently, I had a similar problem. New soldering did not fix it, nor did a new starter, nor a new clutch safety switch. Finally, I had the mechanic bypass everything else with a switch that activates the starter when the key is turned on. A nickel and dime solution fixed what hundreds of dollars did not!