Can anyone identify what this wire/plug is for?

Asked by Sep 01, 2009 at 04:48 PM about the 1988 Chrysler Le Baron

I have attached a photo. This is looking down from under my hood. You can see the oil filter and the wire that I've circled in red. This wire is attached to the oil filter cover (just to keep it out of the way, I guess). That plug definitely looks like it is supposed to plug into something.

I attached it to the nearest thing that it looked like it would plug into and when I turned on the car the heat gauge was up to the max. I unplugged it and the heat gauge went back to normal.

This is a 1988 Chrysler La Baron, 2.5 Litre, K body.

Can anyone help me figure out what this is supposed to plug into?

295

IT THE TEMPATURE SENDING UNIT PLUG FOR YOUR TEMP GAUGE SENDER IS USSALY LOCATED NED TO THERMOSTAT ON THE 2.5 AND 2.2 4 CYL

25

sounds as if it was disconnected because the temp sensor you hooked it up to is defective, causing a hi heat register on the gage