My car is a 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Turbocharged, fuel injected, 59,000 miles in excellent shape. Generally it runs great most of the time. Problem is, at infrequent times, it tends to simply start running rough (when engine is HOT), especially when using the air conditioning. This also has happened once or twice when it was raining out. Engine seems to get "out of sync" for no reason and dies out when I slow down in heavy traffic or come to a stop. I had a complete tune up about 7 months ago. No problem dieing out when car is cold. Just after is is has been running a while and is very warm. Any advise? Thanks - Jim S.

25

Asked by Jun 05, 2007 at 08:57 AM about the 1988 Chrysler Le Baron

My car is a 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Turbocharged, 2.2 liter automatic, fuel injected, 59,000 miles in excellent shape.  Generally it runs great most of the time. Problem is, at infrequent times, it tends to simply start running rough (when engine is HOT), especially when using the air conditioning. This also has happened once or twice when it was raining out. Engine seems to get "out of sync" for no reason and dies out when I slow down in heavy traffic or come to a stop.  I had a complete tune up about 7 months ago.  No problem dieing out when car is cold. Just after is is has been running a while and is very warm.  Any advise?  Thanks - Jim S.

34,795

Sounds like a fuel pump or air intake hose issue. those are first two things I would check.

225

What happens when the car dies? Any noise from the engine? "out of sync" could be detonation, which is not good. Does it sound like a bunch of marbles in a can? What type of fuel are you using?

315

COULD POSSABLY BE THE ELECTRONIC PICKUP IN THE DISTRIBUTOR IT CONTROLS SPARK AND FUEL INJECTION THEY ARE PRONE TO FAILURE CAUSING ALL SORTS OF KAOS

45

^I agree with both answers. First of all do you have any codes? Codes are actuated by flipping the key back and forth 3 times between the start position(with out starting it) and the neutral position leaving it in the start position on the third flip. This will make the check engine light blink in incriments. They are 2 digit numbers. You are looking for a 54 usually if it is an HEP (disk in the distributor). If no codes, you need to check your FP when cold and when warm at idle. It should be between 52-55 psi with the fuel presssure regulator unhooked. Hope this helps. Q