1988 Oldsmobile 98, starts out good stall and Fies continuosly

Asked by May 08, 2017 at 05:09 PM about the 1988 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight

Bought new gas cap..fixed fan cause it
stopped working.Don't stall and die as much
but still does.

2,055

Does it idle okay? How many miles on it? Mine has 220,000 and drives well. The only thing I do when this happens to me is to clean the throttle body with a carburetor cleaner. Take the air filter housing off...that connects to the Throttle housing. There should be a mesh screen placed on the outlet. That is there to allow smooth and consistent airflow to the throttle. I take mine off very carefully...it has a ring around it to secure it. Then I sprayed almost 2 cans of carb cleaner....make sure you also open the throttle to get all the gunk on the back side out.....mine was all brown and black soot. You can also spray the cleaner with car on or in off position. If in the off position you may have difficulty starting (Flooded), but keep foot down on pedal while turning over (do not pump pedal). The car just needs a good throttle cleaning, and change your air filter......plus use a bottle of Techron....also located in Chevron gasoline. I hope this helps