1988 olds 98 starting problems...

Asked by Jul 27, 2009 at 04:46 PM about the 1988 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight

Hello All and thanks for reading.. hopefully someone can help, I have a bit of history with this problem from last summer. (short version) The car would always start but as the accelerator was pressed from a complete stop, there would be hesitation and stuttering but the car would still be drivable and wouldnt cut off. No starting problems until one morning, it just wouldn't start. wound up replacing the ICM and coil pack and no more stuttering problems the rest of the summer winter and spring... These symptoms returned 2 weeks ago and 2 days ago, the car stalled on the expressway. it started back up and cut of about 10 more times on the way home, which was about a 10 mile drive. I parked it for the night came out the next day, and it wouldnt start at all. Had a mechanic come out and take a look, He stated that he thought it was the fuel pump instantly from the described symptoms. he checked 3 plugs from the coil pack while i attempted to start the car, and all 3 sparked, but when checking the last one, the car started up. he instantly said cut it off and i did. he then stated he felt it was the fuel pump. I went out later on myself and disconnected the spark plug and the car started again and didnt stall, though it did idle rough. This morning i took the coil pack and icm off, took them to autozone and they tested them and said they were fine. they also suspected the fuel pump so I also bought a Fuel injection pressure tester and checked for myself. with the ignition on and engine off psi should be with-in 40 to 47psi. My psi is 42. with the car running it should be 31 to 43 my psi is 39. .... Can I rule out Fuel pump? Any Ideas? thanks alot for the read and I would greatly appreciate any opinions!

4,435

have you tried replacing the fuel filter and spark plug wires?

Danny Thank u so much for the reply... I didnt check the fuel filter but You were right on point with the plug wires.... replaced all six and the car started right up and is running like new now.... I feel like a total lame but have learned a lesson.... thank u again!!!

50

I've had this problem with my 92 old 98 and found the problem to be the crank case sensor. it located on th eharmonic balancer ( bottom pully on engine. Easy to replace but can cause the problem .