My car battery Keeps dying and it shuts my car down . Why?

5

Asked by Sep 04, 2012 at 01:55 AM about the 1987 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight

They say it's the battery ! I keep having to get jump offs for my car to start EVERY TIME ! It slowly dies whenever I
do drive it and whenever I don't ! I asked everybody and it's always a different answer ! What's the real problem

232,725

The people you ask are probably right, your battery is not dead but weak and should be replaced. How old is it? If over 4 years old, you need a new one. What is the voltage? Should be 12.4V or higher. After you get the car running, drive over to Autozone or a local auto parts store and have them test your battery for you. They will tell you if it has enough voltage and or needs to be replaced. Good Luck!

17,945

make sure the alternator is working.

Most likely it's the battery. The alternator, if working properly, keeps the battery charged. That is of course if you have a good battery in the first place. So, it could be the alternator if you have a fairy new battery and it keeps draining. Have the battery tested like Mark said at autozone or advanced auto, or even your local auto shop, most places will do it free of charge. Here, autozone and advance will even remove and install your new battery if needed, sometime free also. Good luck....... scott

17,945

The battery being bad wont make the car die. The alternator runs the car once started. Its possible to start the car and then remove the battery and drive away. This causes an extreme load on it and is not recommended however. If the alternator has gone bad and drained the battery for too long they may noth be bad

33,375

Copy and paste lol spread the knowledge Andrew!!!!!

6,615

IT can still be a bad battery and have a bad cell in it. Have seen brand new batterys have bad cells before. GM was known for bad alternators too, if it has been overworked for too long may have a weak alternator also.