1995 olds thermostat changed but check engine light stayed on..thermostat was running half..had heat sensor just done and the thermostat went into the red...Any suggestions..

15

Asked by Feb 07, 2014 at 02:52 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

engine sensor light was on ..took it to dealership ,changed thermostat..said it was the
sensor ..at that time heat gauge was at half ..had the heat sensor changed and heat
gauge went up to the lower red  .car doesn't seem to be overheating  but I am concerned.
any suggestions..All fluids are up..motor runs smooth..

232,605

What was the code the dealership pulled?

108,745

Check coolant level. If they did not completely get all the air out of the cooling system it will cause the issue you are having.

64,995

You may be getting a false reading from the gauge due to the new sensor. Make sure they installed a Delco sensor. Aftermarket sensors are troublesome. HTH. -Jim

15

Thanks for the input .Took it to another mechanic changed the sensor light again ,temp gauge returned to normal..However check engine light still on ..He told me it's either the computer chip or the cluster..Good thing is car is not overheating .. It's an old car don't know if it's worth the cost of replacing these items as they are just faulty lights..Other wise car is in excellent shape interior and exterior.

64,995

You're welcome. Glad to help. Since your Olds is a '95 model it's OBD I. If your mechanic doesn't have a scan tool that will pull the trouble code(s) you can do it with a large paperclip. You'll need to get the two digit trouble code(s) in order to fix the check engine light issue. Glad the temperature gauge is fixed. Thanks for letting us know. If you need help getting those codes using a large paperclip let us know. I'll be glad to walk you through it. Your mechanic may know how to do it as well if he's an older person. HTH. -Jim