1991 Olds 88, Bad clunk in front end!!

Asked by Oct 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

I have a 1991 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royal that has a bad clunk in the left front end when I turn right or left. I replaced the sway bar last year but didn't apply no grease because I didn't know if it was needed or not. Also the long bolt looks like it could be alittle loose too. If neither of these aren't the cause of the clunk, could it be the balljoint or tie rod? I need to get this fixed before it gets to cold out. I have to do repairs outside in my driveway.

I need to correct my question!! I meant Stabilizer Bar instead of Sway Bar. Also, when I installed the stabilizer bar I didn't disconnect the tie rod end while doing it. Both of my repair manuals for the car, Chiltons & Haynes, says that the tie rod end must be disconnected when installing a new stabilizer bar. Is it possible that there is some sort of bind on the stabilizer bar causing the clunk?

Had a clunk as well, ending up breaking the tired rod end, the result? Only one tire would turn with the steering wheel. Def need the grease, unless you have the grease gun with the proper fitting. I grease my '85 with every oil change that I do.