Why is it so hard to start my car? I have 98,000 miles on it and I just had the timing chain and fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. I can't get it started usually in the cold months. It keeps turning over but it takes sometimes 45 minutes of trying to start it before it gets started. I have tried using starting fluid but it still takes a long time. Once I get it started it is fine for the rest of the day. It will start right up. But if I let it sit overnight it will have the same problem in the morning. I also just put a new alternator and battery in it and all the trying to start it is just wearing the battery down to where I have to hook the jumper cables up to another car to try and get it started. Thanks.

Asked by Jan 16, 2015 at 06:44 AM about the 1984 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

I have 98,000 miles on it and I just had the timing chain and fuel pump and fuel filter
replaced.  I can't get it started usually in the cold months.  It keeps turning over but it
takes sometimes 45 minutes of trying to start it before it gets started.  I have tried
using starting fluid but it still takes a long time.  Once I get it started it is fine for the
rest of the day.  It will start right up.  But if I let it sit overnight it will have the same
problem in the morning.  I also just put a new alternator and battery in it and all the
trying to start it is just wearing the battery down to where I have to hook the jumper
cables up to another car to try and get it started.  Thanks.

87,165

Test the fuel pressure, you could have a bad regulator or your new pump is bad. There could be a sensor misread that is telling the ECM that it is hot when it isn't. As this is an OBD 1 system it will take some time to track down.