ater driving my car several stops with turning off and restarting when it gets hot it will not start for hours

5

Asked by Jan 08, 2013 at 04:12 AM about the 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado

i've replaced plugs and wires, coil pack; mass air control sensor; fuel pump and filter

When you say "hot" do you mean overheated or "hot" as in normal operating temperature?

5

normal hot after several restarts; wont start until about an hour later; if i try before then it just spins like no gas

Years ago, we often had to deal with what we called "vapor lock" when the fuel lines get air bubbles and cause the symptoms you describe. I don't know if that problem has been fixed in a 25 year old car. That is all I can think of

5,640

Your fuel line is probly close to the exaught system and is getting alot of heat on it cuaseing a vapor lock like davidH25 said. the heat shield maybe gone or rusted out you may have to rerout your fuel line away from the exaughst system. Soory about my spelling

Ronc if it was not for spell check my posts would be illegible, no apologies necessary. I think you hit it right on, the heat causes the fuel to evaporate even inside the fuel line

5

this sounds more resonable then any answer I've heard so far. I've changed fuel pump, fuel filter and had my fuel system flushed and after running during the flush it started running bad because it had to run thru out the flush. i was then told to change the mass air flow sensor, still didn't help. i can drive the car for long trips as long as i dont shut it down, if i do it might not start for hours, it's driving me nuts, before this answer i was told to change the crankshaft sensor

385

Like someone already mentioned , by what your saying it sounds like Vapor Lock .. If you live in a city where the temp is in the 90's do two things ..Don't fill your tank to the top & park your car out of direct sunlight ..