why are lights flashing on the instrument panel on my 1987 Toronado

5

Asked by Aug 24, 2015 at 06:20 PM about the 1987 Oldsmobile Toronado

A couple of weeks ago the lights on my instrument panel would go out but when I would shut off the car and restart it they would come back on. Then one day the lights on the left side of the instrument panel started flashing (volts, temp and mileage) and went out, then the center (speedometer) started flashing and went out and then the right side (fuel, oil and gear) started flashing and went out. Now the whole panel except for the tach area flashes but doesn't come on correctly. The tach area works fine.

67,365

I'd check the electrical connectors behind the cluster. Perhaps they're dirty and have a poor connection. Beyond that, this is going to be a bugger. These early digital displays are cool but you'll need to find an older Cadillac or Oldsmobile mechanic to diagnose the problem. Personally I'd talk to the service writer at your local Chevy Dealer and see if they have such a person. Or perhaps they can tell you where to send the cluster out to be rebuilt. Good luck with this! HTH. -Jim