What would cause an intermittent tapping in a 1985 olds 307

Asked by Mar 26, 2016 at 08:13 PM about the 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado

73,675

A sticky lifter. There are oil additives to put in to try and desolve any varnish build up. Sometimes on those the rocker arms get worn also.

It's a remanufactured motor with 500 miles on it all new internals

73,675

Well it was a shot. My motor in my truck I rebuilt with totally new parts and have the same thing. It goes away once it is warmed up and the oil pressure is built up. The only thing I can attribute to the tapping motor on mine, I have adjusted my rocker arms (valves) several times in the 4900 miles i have on it, and come to the conclusion that it is in the lifter. I know I have 3 spongy lifters. So far it is not affecting the way the motor runs but if for any reason that I would take off the intake manifold, I plan on replacing them. I'm pushing 400 hp with my motor.