2000 malibu wont start. Does the theft system prevent the fuel pump from turning on? I went for a drive and it seemed like the car couldnt accelerate, it kept bogging down like was not getting fuel.

Asked by Jan 12, 2015 at 01:21 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu

I whent back home shut the car off
and tried it again and the fuel pump
wouldnt turn on. I suspect the fuel
pump is no good but I just wana
double check with people and find out
if the theft system prevents it from
getting power. My theft light always
stayed on but turns off as soon I crank
it.

8,150

You can be thinking right about that. the first test is trouble codes in the cars computer and you can check that with a code reader from the parts store. I have used a credit card and returned it after. Get a fuel pressure gauge that can test that car. Change the filter. with the car lifted, attempt to operate the pump by having a helper turn the key on. if the pump does not start for 1-2 seconds. have them keep cycling the key while you hit the tank with a mallet or similar object. If the pump runs. make your fuel pressure test. If there was a service code, or, an en hanced code google it. You could also have the car towed to where it can be tested and diagnosed more safely. A pump that does not run still needs the electrical tests that follow. You would need a DVOM. En hanced codes may explain the nature of a no start in a passlock system. See what you are willing to do, and equipment you can obtain, or have the tech help with it after you record your codes in a set of notes. Having AAA can save you hours and money spent guessing.

Thanks for the info. I allready tried hitting the tank see if it would make it work but still nothing. I had someone come over with their tester. P0131 o2 sensor citcuit low voltage and p0440 evap emissions control theres more info on both but Could either one of those cut the power to the fuel pump or mean the fuel pump needs to be replaced?. The car ran fine until the this problem occurred.

8,150

That p0440 tickles my funybone. There has been discussion of confusing info about the definition of that code, on other models with other engines, i have heard of confusion about main power concerns with starter solenoid? or wires connecting there ? You better try other sources to compare. even call your GM dealer and discuss this set of codes and these symptoms. They may already have a goto plan for you.

8,150

You still have the tests in the first entry to run about your fuel pump issue. Your pinpoint tests would guide your tech thru it. If you wanted to prove you lost power being sent there, it would be in those tests. if you wanted to run it from a protected jumper you could rig that to verify the pump can run, and the connector is not loose fitting or damaged by resistance.

8,150

Every one of these i get seems to have a plugged filter, dirt in the tank, loose fitting connections, when the computer commands the pump and it does not respond.. Nhtsa info I read cites "sulfur content of fuel available" as the leading cause if pump failure. (they meant dirt) I hope yours is simpler like a loose fitting connector tube inside a hardshell connector. Back to the basics mt friend, and call your dealer please about those code definitions and the symptoms as it pertains to that year of that model with that engine, in my humble opinion.

Ok thanks for the help. Have a good day

8,150

I did reread our correspondence, and no those two codes being set, or failures of 02 sensor circuit or evap control would not stop the pump. I notice you had no enhanced code, so that means no passlock issues in memory or currently. unless you did not run enhanced codes with that scanner. Your pump circuit has a relay i believe, under the hood, and that sends power for 1-2 sec, then stops. When you crank, it begins to run during cranking.That relay is large and has a safety plastic tab holder usually. you can feel it work. If your ignition loses spark? it shuts the pump down for safety. No pump till spark works. You can disassemble to get a plug out and enable it to spark out of the cylinder, you just need to ground the plugs ground electrode with a jumper, or use a spark testing tool. I f you havent any spark? i would have expected other codes had been set.

No we didnt do enhanced codes. The solonoid worksbi checked that and the engine has spark. I used a little quikstart to getvut going but it stalls oncebits burntoff

No we didnt do the enhanced codes. I checked the fuel pump circuit under the hood and it works. The engine has park I used a little bit of quikstart and it started but stalls once its burnt off. Sorry I had to redo my last entry sounded a little messed up

8,150

Eliminating the enhanced codes eliminates passlock issues as a cause. definite. Since it runs out of starting fluid and dies, that means no fuel pressure, no fuel volume, or no fuel delivery. 3 things to differentiate.

8,150

This latest info puts you back under the tank locating the connector, checking for power and ground, (back probe only) dont front probe the connector face view or it fits loose after that. then if there is 12v there ? check the ground. if you can prove the pump has power and ground? beat on it. If your filter was plugged ? You might be pumping dirt. That's bad.