I really need help, I'm getting a 1981 chrysler new yorker and I can't find a single thing about the car anywhere???? Is this a rare year for this car?????? Thanks. :)

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 09:51 PM about the 1981 Chrysler New Yorker

56,775

Not really. Honestly these cars were absolutely terrible. Most were probably junked years ago. They used Chrysler's "lean burn system" and would never run right or pass emissions inspection. If you have one that actually runs good and will pass inspection then it's very rare. HTH. -Jim

10

I hope you see this response. I take exception to Jim's comments above, at least from my experience. I have driven the R-body 1979-81 New Yorkers as daily drivers since 1982 and they have been great vehicles. I never had emissions problems, engine, tranny, or front end issues. The cars never need much beyond routine maintenance and when they did, parts were cheap. I just bought my 4th New Yorker a 1979 (I've had two 1979's and two 1981's) with 36K miles and it is a beauty! Good luck with yours! Email any questions you have to rest44@hotmail.com By the way, you have a 1981 New Yorker, that had the lowest production of the three years, with just over 2500 made. These cars are great cruisers. Have fun! Bob

10

I'll fully agree with rest44, and would like to congratulate you on your purchase. I bought a 1979 in 2002 with under 40k miles, and beyond a windsheld wiper motor, the car never had anything go wrong. The a/c is still on it's original charge (R-12)! My cousin has the car now and will never part with it. Let me just say that I think it's a crime the media panned the R Body Chrysler products. The cars were never really given a fair chance. True there were some fit and finish issues with earlier ones, but the mechanics and suspension, etc. were all proven components from Chrysler's parts stable. In short, take good care of it and it should take good care of you. Personally I'd love to have a clean '81!