67' new yorker headlights

Asked by Sep 21, 2009 at 02:42 AM about the 1967 Chrysler New Yorker

I have this car with less than 18,000 miles on it.  So, it's been sitting most of it's life and he wiring is crap.  It does ok but what happens is i'll be driving along and the lights will go out.  Like all of them.  It happens only on high beam and only on totally black back roads. And it really scares the crap out of you!  What causes this?  I'm scared too drive at night.

Ben

proably short in high/low switch on floor.had same thing happen to me; replaced switch 15$ salved prob

3,255

If it ain't the dimmer switch it's probably a bulkhead connection either at the firewall or in front of the battery where the wiring goes through the core support . moisture can corrode the male female spade terminals used to make these connections . problem is you can't tell which ones or even if any of them are ate up untill you pull the connectors apart . If anything in the connection looks green or rusty thats a good place to start . If you don't mind the new technology the PAK connectors used on new cars are excellent for coorosion resistance , but kinda pricey . they are worth it hope this helps ... PBN