Backfiring issue/ Dies while driving issue. Please read. 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 standard.

10

Asked by Oct 05, 2014 at 07:28 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2, stick. I've had it for about 2 months now, give or
take. When I picked it up A day after the lights came on. (we all know how this can be
done.) So.. the engine light is on, Flashes sometimes or stays on. The service light
stays on. (and almost irrelevant, but semi rarely the AVS light comes on, which I think
is the breaks. but that has nothing to do with the problems i am having.) few more
information before i try to explain. The mileage screen sais error, it has flashed a
handful of times for a second and reads 131,900 miles. Anyways prior to the problem
im about to explain i had to have the e-brake replaced, it didn't work when I got the car.
THIS is what happens.... (And the problem has slowly progressed as the month has
gone by and is ridiculous now.) The muffler is really loud too by the way - jet fuel intake.
) So When i have been driving down the road, (and this has happened in every gear
now, 100 times... It dies/or acts like it lost all power)(the steering will will also lock up as
if your power steering went out. What i will do is pop it to neutral and back to the gear i
was in, or depending on how much speed i lost sometimes I down shift once. It will then
catch itself and start accelerating normally again. BUT! when this happens it
BACKFIRES...REALLY..LOUD. Like a Gunshot. Everyday it seems like it gets louder
and louder. Sometimes i cant catch it, like how i was explaining how i try to fix it while
driving, And it will keep slowing down all the way to a stop. While this is happening i try
to catch it every time I'm having to down shift. I can start it right back up after that and
keep trying. I can always get it to finally get to the destination, but as the month went by
its just got to where I cannot drive it because the backfiring is to loud and its
embarrassing to a point cause I live in a neighborhood and its freaking people out and
annoying me. I've talked to many of people for hours and hours, been trying to figure
this out.  OK now, back to the engine and service light. I've been told the service light is
just on because they didn't reset it after an oil change, and yes the oil is good. The
codes that come up are: Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, and
Oxygen Sensor (upstream). I just replaced the cam/crank sensors yesterday. When I
tried to drive it to AutoZone to put it back on the computer to see how it drove and what
the computer might say now... It had the same driving problem as i have explained. I
did make it up there though. When i tried to put it back on the computer the dlc didnt
read. I took it back home, found out the fuse is busted to the CIG. Which should make
the computer read when i go back up there to get the fuse. I havn't done the O2 sensor
yet because I was told that it might not even be bad but because its not picking up the
right information from the cam/crank sensors, so it might have been reading funny. I do
have a new fuel filter that I'm going to try to see if that clears up the problems I am
having. When I did try to start my car today though it cranked like 20 times real fast,
and will not crank over though. I'm almost 100% sure when i jump it with cables later
that it will start. Thats all that I have eliminated so far, and all the information that I
know of. Does anyone know of anything I should try, or check, or any information at all?

10

oh and it doesn't always want to ideal properly or very long, and sometimes backfires sometime through the not idling process, can die at stop lights.

70,255

Sounds like a timing chain/belt failure. Run a compression test. If all cylinders test low, that's what it is. By what you've described the camshaft and crankshaft were not in the proper positions causing the codes for those sensors. This is caused by the timing chain or timing belt, whichever you have, being worn. This puts the engine out of time and can cause the backfiring that you described. Now that it won't start but cranks over very fast is an indicator that you have no compression. This is most likely because the worn timing chain or timing belt has now failed. Run the compression test to be sure. HTH. -Jim